We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Travel

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Train Travel

We will be doing 6 train journeys: In April 2014

Berlin to Hamburg - Return 28/04/2014

Berlin to Prague

Prague to Vienna

Vienna to Salzburg

Salzburg to Munich

Munich to Innsbruck with a stopover at Mittenwald

Innsbruck to Heidelberg - 19/05/2014

I have done my homework & got a rough idea how much

all the above will cost for 2 adults - I just need to compare with a rail pass still

Tickets do not go on sale till 3 months before

Any information from the locals would be great help eg:1is it better to travel local train or IC/ICE

or travel night not day or is Hamburg really worth the train ride for the day Thank you

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,209 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Travel

"Any information from the locals would be great help eg:1is it better to travel local train or IC/ICE"

I am not quite sure what you are asking here, obviously it would be better (for long distance journey such as Berlin to Hamburg) to use the ICE train, for speed and comfort, especially since you can get 'Sparpreis' tickets by booking 3 months ahead for about € 35 per person.

However, if the travel is a spur of the moment thing, then yes, you can use local trains for € 52 a couple using Regional trains with the "Quer-durchs-Land Ticket", see

bahn.de/i/…quer-durchs-land-ticket.shtml

If you are travelling locally within the State, e.g. within Brandenburg, Saxony, Bavaria etc., then you would use the "Laender" ticket, see

bahn.de/i/…laender-ticket.shtml

which costs € 26 for a couple

Nothing, to me, beats travelling on the ICE train for long distances

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,275 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Travel

I've travelled on a ICE from Hamburg to Berlin (Spandau) in 2012. What a excellent experience that was.

It only took about 1.5 hours and the train got up to 230kmh (they have screens at the end of each carriage telling you how fast the train is going).

I'll be going back in the opposite direction - Berlin to Hamburg - by ICE about 2 weeks after you in May!

Just book in advance at www.bahn.de

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,086 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Travel

I would maximise the time in Berlin. Hamburg is all very well, but IMO not worth going out of the way for.

Berlin - Prague from €29 www.cd.cz/eshop

Prague - Vienna from €19 by train (website as above) or €18 bus www.studentagency.eu - recommended if you want to check e-mails, etc for free/watch a couple of

Vienna - Salzburg from €19 in advance www.oebb.at/en or €25 pay on the train if you use the Westbahn train.

Salzburg - Munich buy a Bayern Ticket on the day €27 for 2 passengers www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/Bayern_ticket

and so on

A pass would be of little value.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,572 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Travel

Day trip to Hamburg from Berlin is only realistic if you use ICE trains.

If this makes any sense at all depends on the time you have for Berlin. With less than 4 nights I would recommend no day trip at all. With less than 6 nights at max to Potsdam.

If you want to include a further city I would recommend Dresden which is on the route from Berlin to Prague. Thus costing you no additional travel time. And with luck not even additional travel costs as you can get Berlin to Prague with a stopover of at max. 48 hours in Dresden also from € 29 through the DB timetable.

http://www.dresden.de/dig/en/index.php

From Munich to Mittenwald use another Bayern Ticket

bahn.de/i/…bavaria-ticket.shtml

From Mittenwald to Innsbruck the VVT tariff applies. Single ticket to Innsbruck Hbf (main train station) is € 10,00 per person. Single ticket to any tram or bus stop in Innsbruck is € 11,00 per person (same ticket incl. Innsbruck core zone surcharge).

Auckland Region...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Travel

Hi

Try contacting International Rail in Australia, they are great..

www.internationalrail.com.au

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,209 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Travel

Please, please, buy directly from the train operators, and avoid dealing with third party such as Internationalrail and Railplus.

See the warnings from a recent buyer in post #42 and #44 in this thread

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-i12483-k4776…

Auckland Region...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Travel

International Rail are a completely different company than Rail Plus and are very legitimate. I and many of my friends in Australia and New Zealand have used them. Their service is brilliant.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,152 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Travel

Their prices stink.

For example, Paris-Avignon on 25 March at 12.49, International Rail claims that second class is sold out and I would need to buy a first class ticket for $244. On the SNCF web site, the same train has second class seats available for €37 ($57) or first class for €40 ($61).

Anyone wanting the best prices should book direct with the train operator.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Travel

Thanks for the info - will look into it

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Train Travel

Yes I saw that - I will buy direct