We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel in Europe by Eurail, Raileurope pass

Pune, India
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel in Europe by Eurail, Raileurope pass

We are the family with one child(9yr old) travelling Italy, Austria & Switzerland for 14 days from 15th May. I need to book train travel for following routs:

Rome - Pisa - Florence

Florence- Venice

Venice - Salzburg(Austria)

Salzburg- Innsbruck

Innsbruck - Lucerne (Switzerland)

Lucerne - Interlaken- Zweisimmen- Montreux (preferring Golden pass line)

Montreux - Geneva

I need advice for best economical way of travel. Can I save money if I go for Eurail or Raileurope pass? or can I do combination of local trains (for e.g. in Italy) & Eurail pass. What will be train fares on these routes? Also suggest me bus routes, if any cheaper & convenient.

Thanks in advance

Rajesh

India

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,572 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel in Europe by Eurail, Raileurope pass

Search this forum for 'Eurail' and you will find that the consensus is to forget about buying a Eurail pass, for example

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-i12483-k7021…

Eurail is an expensive way to travel by train in Europe, the most economical way is to book direct with the train operators, way in advance (in some cases, 120 days prior to travel date), and buy those tickets, especially as in your case, you know where you want to go point-to-point.

As an example,

Florence to Venice (book with www.trenitalia.com, click on the UK flag at the top right hand corner, and enter Firenze S.M.Novella to Venezia S.Lucia), prices start from € 19 if you book 120 days in advance

Venice to Salzburg (book with www.oebb.at, utilising the Austrian intercity bus from Venice Tronchetto stop, via Villach, then continuing by train to Salzburg), prices from € 35 book 90 days in advance

Salzburg to Innsbruck (book with www.oebb.at) prices start from € 14, book 90 days in advance

In short, forget about passes, unless you want to waste your money !

Florida
Level Contributor
647 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel in Europe by Eurail, Raileurope pass

Yes, definitely avoid Rail Europe and Eurail Passes but in Switzerland you can save a lot by buying one of their passes or discount cards, such as a half price card for 120CHF for each adult and the free family card.

swisstravelsystem.com/en/tickets-en/swiss-ha…

swisstravelsystem.com/en/tickets-en/swiss-fa…

It would save you about 90CHF for each adult just going round trip to Jungfraujoch. Many countries have family discount fares or 9 year olds travel free with a paying parent.

Go to www.seat61.com to get each countries train web site which can be switched to English. Your longer trips on high speed trains should be purchased online usually 3 to 4 months before travel for the biggest savings.

Edited: 11 January 2014, 21:09
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,149 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel in Europe by Eurail, Raileurope pass

You cannot book Pisa to Florence, as these frequent Regional trains have no reserved seats and no advance reductions. Simply buy in italy for €7.90.

When booking Rome-Pisa enter Roma Termini to Pisa Centrale.

Pune, India
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel in Europe by Eurail, Raileurope pass

Thanks to all of you for your valuable reply.

Rajesh

Pune, India
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel in Europe by Eurail, Raileurope pass

Hi NCand FL

Please help me again for travel in Switzerland.

I am visiting Mt. Titlis . How to go there from Luzern?

I wish to travel by Golden Pass line from Luzern to Montreux. Where shall I book it?

Which is the cheaper rail network or site for booking for all travel in Switzerland?

I checked swisstravelsystem.com. But I am confused, about family card. If it's free, how can I book it online?

Please reply.

Rajesh

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,572 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel in Europe by Eurail, Raileurope pass

Mt. Titliss, travel from Lucerne to Engelberg

http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en?

Any type of Swiss pass will entitle you to the family card, for example

www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard.asp…

Goldenpass

http://tickets.goldenpass.ch/pls/apex/f?

There is no cheaper rail booking site for Switzerland, Swiss railways do not offer discounted fares (with a few exceptions on city to city fares), that is why you buy a pass

Edited: 13 January 2014, 18:43
Pune, India
Level Contributor
9 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel in Europe by Eurail, Raileurope pass

Rajesh,

I am not sure in Italy which places you are staying at. But one small suggestion, if you are planning to stay at Pisa then its not needed. Better you stay at Florence bcz its 2hrs approx journey to Pisa and come back to Florence same day (Florence -Pisa- Florence, 6-7hrs approx). Outside Pisa rail station you will get a bus for Leaning Tower which is 20-30 min ride. Florence is very good city to rome around in evening.

Train service is very good in Italy. For Pisa you can get ticket on station itself, frequency is very good from Florence to Pisa.

Thanks,

Prasad

Edited: 17 January 2014, 09:22
Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,444 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel in Europe by Eurail, Raileurope pass

Trains in Italy - www.trenitalia.com

Rome to Pisa starts at €19. No, buying a €60-per-day Eurail pass won't save money!

Trains in Austria and Austria to Switzerland www.oebb.at

Trains in Switzerland www.sbb.ch

Pune, India
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel in Europe by Eurail, Raileurope pass

Dear Advisors

Thanks for your help. Can you suggest me a good place to stay in Tuskany?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,572 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel in Europe by Eurail, Raileurope pass

@Rashatan Your post has nothing with Train Travel, please repost in the Tuscany forum.

Get answers to your questions