We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail trip Alps/Northern Italy.

Ware, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Rail trip Alps/Northern Italy.

hi everyone! i am planning a trip for my mother and father for their 50th wedding anniversary and would like some advice!

i want to book them on a sleeper train where they could have a nice meal and enjoy the scenery of the alps .. ending up italy. can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks in advance.

nick.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,454 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rail trip Alps/Northern Italy.

Not sure about a sleeper train, but as an idea, read post #11 in this thread

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-i12483-k6414…

If you are coming from the UK, you could take the City Night Line sleeper train from Amsterdam to Zurich, then use the above post to plan for the scenic train.

www.seat61.com/citynightline.htm#.UtMPffvpxb8

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rail trip Alps/Northern Italy.

Bernina Express is fabulous for scenery but isn't a sleeper

Orient Express is fabulous for everything and is a sleeper

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,704 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rail trip Alps/Northern Italy.

The only normal sleeper trains to Italy go through the Alps in the night (don't know about the Orient express though, which is not so much a train as a luxury hotel on wheels).

Give your parents a night in Switzerland and then a day-train. Geneva might be a good choice, with fast trains from Paris and several reasonably fast day trains direct to Milan, of which the 7.42 continues to Venice. But there are many other options.

Edited: 13 January 2014, 01:24
Florida
Level Contributor
639 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rail trip Alps/Northern Italy.

Go here:

http://www.seat61.com/Italy.htm#.UtVT33-9KSM

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,977 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rail trip Alps/Northern Italy.

If you can afford the Orient Express and it's the sort of thing you are looking for, go for it. But as already said, it isn't really a train trip. It's super-luxury hotel and fine dining on wheels, more about seeing the other participants and being seen by them. That could be your parents' idea of heaven or hell.

It's interesting that when railway enthusiasts (such as myself) are asked "oh, so you want to go on / have been on the Orient Express?" the answer is invariably no. Even the editor of Railway Magazine said the same.

Florida
Level Contributor
639 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rail trip Alps/Northern Italy.

My husband and I are in our mid-60's and we travel in Europe most every year and love to do it by train. But we don't want to do it by sleeper train and miss all the beautiful scenery. We want a quiet room with a nice bed in a nice town to walk around in the evenings. Then during the day bring food, wine, and a good book and enjoy the scenery while we are going from one place to the other on the train. Last summer we did France, northern Italy, and Switzerland by train, visiting a few new towns and a few we have been to before. This May and June we are visiting the same countries and except for Rome and Paris, where we fly into and out, we will be over 3 weeks of visiting towns we have never been to. Most sleeper train compartments may not be as you imagine them or something your older parents would enjoy so I would discuss it with them first.

7. Re: Rail trip Alps/Northern Italy.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 05:18