We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train routing help Paris to Germany

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
119 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Train routing help Paris to Germany

I will be spending a week in Paris then hope to head to Germany for a week before flying home from Munich. I hope to take a train from Paris across the border then rent a car to drop off near Munich. I'm having a hard time visualizing how to go about this.

I'd like to travel by rail to a town easy to drive from, kinda nervous about large cities. Prefer to pick up at the train station, I'm assuming in Germany so as to keep one way car rental in one country. I had thought Strousbourg but if there's a suggestion of something other than Strousbourg I'd love to hear.

I'd like minimal train connections.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,048 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train routing help Paris to Germany

If you mean Strasbourg, that city is in France and so will not suit you for a rental pickup.

The problem is that the fast long-distance trains do not stop in small towns. And small towns usually have very limited options for car rental anyway.

One possibility would be to take a direct train from Paris Gare de l'Est to Saarbrucken (Sarrebruck), which should be large enough to have car rental, but not as big as Munich. See www.capitainetrain.com

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
119 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train routing help Paris to Germany

Beautiful! Great website! (Sorry about the misspelling of Strasbourg). :(

Any other town suggestions that might be farther south? I was hoping to drive to Bregenz, Fussen, Oberammergau before making my way to Munich. Would Stuttgart be a "big city"?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,048 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train routing help Paris to Germany

Sorry, but I don't know all that much about Germany. Your guide book (or even Wikipedia) should give you an idea of the size of places. I just looked at a map and saw that Saarbrucken was a reasonable size, not far into Germany and roughly along a line from Paris to Munich, and then looked to see if there was a train connection.

Kent, Washington
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train routing help Paris to Germany

Hi,

Yeah of course guide book or Wikipedia give accurate information as far as size of the city is concern.You can use Google map or travel guide to find out easy and best way.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,901 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train routing help Paris to Germany

There are direct trains from Paris (Gare de L'Est) to Stuttgart and Munich. You can also get to Ulm and Augsburg on that same route. Sometimes a change of train is needed in Stuttgart. Paris - Munich is just over 6 hours.

The first stop in Germany for these fast trains is Karlsruhe.

Alternatively take a fast train to Strasbourg, then a local train the short distance across the France / Germany border to Kehl or Offenburg.

Kehl and Offenburg are both fairly small towns and as I don't drive I have never paid any attention to what car rental services might be available there.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,137 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train routing help Paris to Germany

Freiburg (im Breisgau) also now has a direct TGV from Paris, which terminates there. But it arrives in the evening, so you'd have to overnight before renting a car.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,437 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train routing help Paris to Germany

Just look at a map and decide where to go.

Then simply go to German railways www.bahn.de/en and book a train ticket, Paris to any German city from €39.

Indeed, you can book a TGV all the way Paris to Munich from €39 and print your own ticket - there's a direct train at 15:25 arriving 21:36.

Edited: 15 January 2014, 13:30
Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,928 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train routing help Paris to Germany

What's the problem with a big city? You can arrive, do some sightseeing and then rent a car on the way out - a bigger city will have much more rental car options.

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
119 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train routing help Paris to Germany

I think driving a vehicle in a large city is intimidating. I will have GPS but last time I rented a vehicle in France I took the train to Caen then drove for a week & dropped off at the rail station in Tours before hopping on the train back to Paris. I much prefer country driving.

10. Re: Train routing help Paris to Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2015, 06:18