We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Inter-Rail or not to inter-rail in South East Europe

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
To Inter-Rail or not to inter-rail in South East Europe

Hi,

I want to do two weeks of travelling in late March/April. I am thinking Greece, Macedonia, Albania (I know not part of interail), Serbia and Croatia (not necessarily in that order or all), Probably Starting in Istanbul or somewhere with cheap flights in.

I was wondering is it cheaper to inter-rail or just use train/bus/plane/taxi/walk/donkey pay as you go style. I'm 23 and a full time Student for discount purposes.

Also if you have any wise words on any of the destinations, it will be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,569 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To Inter-Rail or not to inter-rail in South East Europe

As you qualify for the Youth InterRail, it may well be worth getting the pass, especially given the flexibility it offers. Once you have to pay the adult InterRail rate, the pass becomes the premium option, with buying regular tickets often cheaper.

There are some fantastic train rides in this region, including Athens-Thessaloniki, Belgrade-Podgorica-Bar, Zagreb-Split. And Albanian trains are so ropey it's fun!

www.bahn.de/en is a good all-round all-Europe online train timetable, though bear in mind it's not 100% uploaded with all the data for the Balkans.

2. Re: To Inter-Rail or not to inter-rail in South East Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2015, 06:38