We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train travel around the UK

Bispham, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
train travel around the UK

Looking to take a couple of weeks to travel around the UK taking in the best scenery using the train. Can anyone recommend the best and most cost effective way of doing this. Happy to stay at basic hotels so can sort out all that but need help with planning the itinerary and getting the best deals on train tickets and places to see and where to stop. Looking at first 2 weeks of June. Am sure many people will have taken on a trip similar to this so hopefully can get some great advice. TIA

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train travel around the UK

Cheapest for long-distance travel is to pre-book on a no-refunds no-changes-to-travel-plans basis soon after booking opens 12 weeks ahead.

You can do any route on any train operator website, but I'd start with www.nationalrail.co.uk.

This is the central info site, which will hand you off to the most relevant operator for a ticket sale, and very occasionally the actual train operator provides an extra few % discount on their own Advance fares (notably East Coast on the London-York-Edinburgh route, FGW on the (currently largely underwater) London-Plymouth-Cornwall and London-Bristol-South Wales routes.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,080 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train travel around the UK

>>no-changes-to-travel-plans<<

Not strictly true. With Advance tickets one can change the date and time for a £10 fee per ticket, plus any difference in price.

Bispham, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train travel around the UK

Thanks both for the replies. I understand the way tickets work and booking them in advance gives a cheaper rate. Sometimes its cheaper to buy a day ticket to cover an area. What i was more after was an idea of 'must see journeys and places to stop off at' something similar to Michael Portillo Great Railway journeys without visiting as many places. Also whether it would be better to buy a weekly/ fortnight ticket that covers the whole network or buy individual tickets which i guess would be better checking once i have some idea of an itinerary.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
51,004 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train travel around the UK

My idea of a great itinerary from Retford would be up the East Coast line to your choice of destination in Scotland, then back down the West Coast line to Crewe, a quick detour to North Wales, then, if time permits, back to London for the sleeper to Cornwall and a day train back. Hopefully the line to Penzance will be open again by early June.

But the possibilities are almost limitless. I think the first thing to do is to have an idea of where you want to go - for me the most scenic lines are in Scotland, Wales and the West Country - but others will have their own favourites!

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train travel around the UK

Among the area passes that you might consider is the Hadrians Wall Country Day Rover that covers the Newcastle-Carlisle line with extensions to Sunderland at one end and Whitehaven at the other. It could be considered before or after a trip on the Settle-Carlisle line. Information on this and similar rover tickets is given on Nationalrail/Train times and tickets/rovers and rangers. There is also a tab for special offers.

6. Re: train travel around the UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 05:20