We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What does it mean?

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
358 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
What does it mean?

We are looking to travel by train Oxford to York May 5th.. While looking at fares, I noted that it says something like" unknown how service will be affected due to engineering May 4th thru 9th". If service was completely disrupted, do they provide service on another mode of transportation, ie: coach? That would be on a prepayed , specific train ticket.. Also will I save money to buy this ticket now , rather than at the station, day of travel? Thanks

Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
854 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What does it mean?

There will be rail replacement buses which will leave from the train station, if there are planned engineering works.

Still book the ticket in advance as it will be cheaper. Even if you buy on the day, it will be more expensive and you will still be travelling on a replacement bus.

There will be staff on hand to help you which bus you need at the train station.

Brez

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
358 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What does it mean?

Thank, Brez... I feel better... Will move forward with booking tickets this weekend!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,830 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What does it mean?

Monday May 5th is a public holiday in the UK. Those long weekends are a popular time to undertake major engineering projects that require complete closure of some sections of route.

But as Brez says, don't worry. Either the train will be diverted by an alternative route or buses will be provided to bridge any gap. You can certainly go ahead and book your tickets asap, but do check nearer the date to verify that there have been no changes to departure time.

I cannot see anything specific in the advanced notifications at nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/curre… that would affect trains between Oxford and York on that date. But given the amount of damage that is currently being caused to the UK rail network by the constant storms and floods it would not surprise me if plans had to be changed.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,384 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What does it mean?

Please make sure ADVANCE tickets are available before you commit to buying- if you can only see (super) off peak or anytime tickets then the advances are not on sale yet and there's no point in buying the others this far ahead.

Edited: 14 February 2014, 11:15
5. Re: What does it mean?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 05:21