We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train/bus travel from Barcelona to montpellier on to Annecy,

Los Angeles...
5 posts
Save Topic
Train/bus travel from Barcelona to montpellier on to Annecy,

Hi,

Have tried every site listed and having a lot of trouble , need help. From what everyone says should not buy rail pass. That said I can not seem to pull up trains for Barcelona to Montpelier or anywhere except on a timetable map(not reservations) Traveling starting May 31, realize part of is possible the date as it is too far out, so I have tried sooner dates. Ultimately want to go from Barcelona to Annecy and then on to Chamonix, then La Spazia, and then Venice. Traveling with my two teenage girls, so would like to lock in what I can, but if anyone has experience with this route and feels I would be able to just purchase tickets there I am willing. Have booked hotels and would like to try to keep my schedule. Later will be going to Rome, Rottenberg then paris. Just encase it matters,Yes I feel we have enough time, 35 days

Thanks for any help

The MOM

Edited: 17 February 2014, 01:40
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,047 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train/bus travel from Barcelona to montpellier on to Annecy,

Trains from Barcelona to Montpellier are shown on the web site of the train operator, SNCF. Tickets go on sale 5 months before travel, so times for 31 May will not yet be shown.

You can get French train times and costs, and make bookings, at en.voyages-sncf.com/en but use Antarctic as the "Ticket collection country" to avoid being transferred to RailEurope USA, which has higher prices and does not list all the trains.

If you have trouble with voyages-sncf, www.capitainetrain.com is a private website which has the same prices.

For general information on train travel in Europe, including the web sites of all the operators, see www.seat61.com

Edited: 17 February 2014, 01:50
Los Angeles...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train/bus travel from Barcelona to montpellier on to Annecy,

Thank you will try suggested, One last question if you know, wanting to take gondola up the french side (Chamonix)and back down Italian how hard and much time should I plan on.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,047 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train/bus travel from Barcelona to montpellier on to Annecy,

I believe that the through route from Chamonix into Italy is closed for rebuilding this year. You would do best to ask on the Chamonix forum.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,444 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train/bus travel from Barcelona to montpellier on to Annecy,

As they are about to release a new improved high-speed train service to/from Barcelona from 31 March, bookings aren't yet open for dates 31 March onwards.

One snippet of info suggests bookings will open on 18 Feb, i.e. tomorrow, so keep trying. I suggest www.capitainetrain.com as it has very few if any problems with overseas cards, no Machiavellian redirects to other sites, and issues print-at-home tickets.

5. Re: Train/bus travel from Barcelona to montpellier on to Annecy,

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 05:19
Get answers to your questions