We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Rome to London via Zurich

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Train Rome to London via Zurich

Instead of flying back to London after a tour of Italy, I'm considering taking the train. 'Man in seat 61' recommends a few options. Is the trip via Zurich worth the extra time and cost over the direct route from Milan to London?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,653 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Rome to London via Zurich

>>cost over the direct route from Milan to London?<<

What route are you describing? There is no direct train to London from Milan, all Milan trains (EuroCity/Pendolino) goes to Switzerland

Info here: http://uk.voyages-sncf.com/en/trains/eurocity

The alternative is going from Milan to France, and then take the Eurostar back to London

www.sncf.com/en/trains/france-italy-tgv

With the first option, obviously you have to take another TGV train from Zurich or Geneva to Paris, or take the roundabout way via Cologne to London

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,195 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Rome to London via Zurich

I'm doing this trip in reverse - London, Paris, Zurich, Milan - in order to do the Bernina Express. It's more expensive and adds an overnight stop somewhere (Paris or Zurich or Milan or somewhere in between), but it should be beautiful.

Have a look at Maninseat61's page on the Bernina Express.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,429 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Rome to London via Zurich

Rome to London via Zurich (or Basel or Geneva) is theoretically possible in one day. But you arrive in London late at night and when booking these trains you must be very careful to allow realistic transfer times. The DB Bahn website (which people often use for planning though cannot be used for purchase on this route) is often far too optimistic about connection times, though does have a facility whereby you can adjust the times.

Going via Switzerland is not much more hassle than the direct route - one more change of train only, and only a little longer actually spent on trains. And you still have to cross Paris on the RER between mainline train stations. Whether the extra cost is worth it to you depends entirely how much you enjoy staring out of train windows at passing scenery.

If overnighting in Switzerland on the way, whether it is worth it depends on how much you wish to go to a Swiss city, which one you go to, and how much time you can spend there. In addition to Zurich, Geneva Bern and Lausanne are also attractive options for an overnight without an additional change of train. With one more change of train, more places are possible (e,g, Montreux), and with two changes, many more.

Edited: 24 February 2014, 11:45
Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,980 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Rome to London via Zurich

I'd say the Bernina route definitely, definitely warrants the extra time and euros/francs, the journey through the Alps on the narrow-gauge Bernina route is amazing.

The route via the mainline Gotthard Pass to Zurich is certainly more scenic than the direct Milan-Paris TGV route, and doesn't take that much longer or cost that much more, so I'd see what times and prices you get and make a decision then. If Milan-Paris is €29 but Milan-Zurich was full-price €71 and Zurich-Paris a middle-of-the-road €80, I think I'd stick with the Milan-Paris option, but if you get €22 Milan-Zurich and €25 Zurich-Paris I'd say the route via Zurich was worth the extra time.

5. Re: Train Rome to London via Zurich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 06:17