We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A4 paper question

Michigan
Level Contributor
491 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
A4 paper question

This may be a stupid question, but I need to print out my train tickets (from various countries in Europe) on A4 paper. I went to the office supply store here in the US and they didn't sell the paper, so I cut down a few sheets and used those, but I need a few more.

1. How picky are they about the exact measurements of the paper? I'm pretty sure I'm close (within a mm or 2)

2. Can I use card stock? I have that in 12x12" that I can easily cut down here at home.

Julie

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,532 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A4 paper question

US letter size paper is almost the same as A4 and as long as all the ticket information is visible (particularly any bar codes or QR codes) I cannot imagine for 1 second that any train conductor or ticket examiner is going to whip out a ruler and sanction you for being 2mm over or under sized.

Even A4 paper size has apparently a 2mm tolerance in actual size. US letter is slightly wider and somewhat shorter (18mm shorter) than A4.

I don't know about cards, my printer refuses to print on anything but paper.

It begs the question when will the USA join most of the rest of the world and use the international standard paper sizes!

Edited: 27 February 2014, 18:06
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,989 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A4 paper question

The main issue is not the size of the paper, but if there's a barcode which the conductor will scan, you shouldn't resize the printout to fit US paper or the barcode might not scan correctly.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,668 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A4 paper question

Each European country has its own companies operating the trains and these will have their own rules and practices. People will have an easier time answering if you name the countries or companies.

In my native Finland you have the option of printing the tickets by yourself and they have QR codes. The conductor will scan these with a handheld device to validate each ticket. In this case the exact paper size won't matter as long as you don't let the page to be resized to fit exactly onto the paper because the resizing might distort the QR code enough to make it unreadable. Although A4 is a bit taller and narrower than letter size paper nothing critical would be clipped away since the QR codes are in the middle of the ticket page.

Michigan
Level Contributor
491 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A4 paper question

Thank you all for easing my fears. I'd hate to get all the way overseas and realize my tickets were invalid because of the paper. Goodsoil - the countries are France, Austria, Germany, Italy and Switzerland.

Think I've got it covered now - thanks again!

Julie

Washington State
Level Contributor
669 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A4 paper question

Just standard 8 1/2" x 11" letter paper. It is almost the same size as A4.

Washington State
Level Contributor
669 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A4 paper question

"It begs the question when will the USA join most of the rest of the world and use the international standard paper sizes!"

At exactly the same time we adopt metric. That is to say, never.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A4 paper question

As said above,

US letter size paper is fine and you must print at 100% so the scanner can read the 3D barcode.

--- ALSO ---

In addition to the ticket you will have to show the Conductor the same Credit Card that was used to purchase the ticket(s).

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,643 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A4 paper question

All anti-American sentiments aside, A4 is standard letter size measured in centimeters. No big deal.

UK
Level Contributor
6,108 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A4 paper question

"A4 is standard letter size measured in centimeters."

It isn't. Letter slightly wider and slightly shorter.

Edited: 28 February 2014, 08:07
10. Re: A4 paper question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 June 2014, 11:05