We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

night train itinerary from paris to barcelona

San Francisco...
6 posts
Save Topic
night train itinerary from paris to barcelona

Hello Forum Folks -

We are trying to figure out our mid-april night journey from Paris to Barcelona and need your inputs/advice for these below options/issues :

Option 1:

Intercité de Nuit #3731 :: DEP : 21:57 Paris Austerlitz / ARR : 07:20 Perpignan

AVE Class 100 #9731 ": DEP : 10:07 Perpignan / ARR : 11:27 Barcelona Sants

Option 2:

Intercité de Nuit #3971 :: DEP : 21:57 Paris-Austerlitz / ARR : 07:51 Latour-de-Carol-Enveitg

Rodalies R3 :: DEP : 8.48 La Tor de Querol-Enveig / ARR : 11.36 Barcelona-Sants

(found out and explored about this option today on this site after it got mentioned by few members).

I am getting conflicting reports from well known train booking sites that Option1 has been discontinued (ie Intercité de Nuit #3731) but I am able to book this itinerary and hence confused and want to make sure this doable.

Having said this, I am not able to book the leg1 of Option2 (Intercité de Nuit #3971) and not sure why.

Reaching out to this forum on what would be the best option and how to book the journey safely w/o any last minute issues.

Thank you All

Sam

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,011 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: night train itinerary from paris to barcelona

Looking at various train forums, here is what I found:

- "No night train services Paris and Barcelona or Madrid will run after 15th December 2013." (www.loco2.com)

- "There is however still, a much more awkward, and less comfortable option for overnight train travel between Paris and Barcelona.

There is still an overnight service by French Corail-Lunea (LUN) train from Paris (Austerlitz) across the Spanish border that terminates in Port Bou." (www.therebytrain.com)

I confirmed the above,

- INTERCITÉS de Nuit #3731 can still be booked from en.voyages-sncf.com, price about € 126

- there are connecting trains from Portbou to Barcelona Sants, confirmed this with www.renfe.com

Edited: 28 February 2014, 00:00
San Francisco...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: night train itinerary from paris to barcelona

Thanks hadiwi56a !!!

Does it mean that option1 is bookable and that these train service are running?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,011 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: night train itinerary from paris to barcelona

Yes, I have checked that they are bookable from en.voyages-sncf.com, but note that they terminate at Port Bou, and I have no idea what the carriages are like.

My view is, better off taking the new Paris - Barcelona TGV during the day.

Edited: 28 February 2014, 05:37
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,011 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: night train itinerary from paris to barcelona

I guess I should clarify my previous post. If you intend to do the connection at Perpignan, the connecting Renfe train will only start at 10:00am or thereabouts, so it would be better to terminate at Port Bou.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,738 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: night train itinerary from paris to barcelona

>>> Having said this, I am not able to book the leg1 of Option2 (Intercité de Nuit #3971) and not sure why. <<<

Trying too early?

These trains don't generally go on sale more than three months ahead - and if there are potential timetable changes it can be less than that.

PS if you go for option 2, the leg from Latour de Carol/La Tor de Querol isn't bookable at all as it is considered a Barcelona Commuter route! Simply pay the train conductor when you get on, the fare is about €12.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,738 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: night train itinerary from paris to barcelona

Here's what the Man in Seat 61 says about these services;

seat61.com/…London_to_Barcelona_overnight

seat61.com/Spain.htm#London_to_Barcelona_by_…

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,205 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: night train itinerary from paris to barcelona

Spanish trains from Portbou (the Spanish spelling, so listed after all the Ports on the RENFE website) to Barcelona are also mostly not bookable online. You can buy at Portbou, mostly €13.50, some trains €18.10. You will get a seat - the trains will be almost empty when they start off..

Taking the night train through to Port Bou rather than alighting at Perpignan gives you either more sleep or the opportunity to see an attractive piece of coastline which the fast trains avoid. But it's a slower journey.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: night train itinerary from paris to barcelona

OK, lets clarify:

Option 1, take the Intercité de Nuit Paris to Perpignan, have breakfast, then take the 10:07 high-speed TGV from Perpignan to Barcelona arriving 11:27. This is the fastest overnight option, but only saves 2 hours compared to catching the morning 07:15 TGV direct from Paris to Barcelona arriving 13:29.

Option 2, stay aboard the same Intercite de Nuit to Portbou. You are now off the high-speed line, it's a local all-stations train from Portbou to Barcelona, and a wait for one just after 10am too, as there's a gap in the service, so you don't reach Barcelona until (from memory) around 12:30.

Option 3, take the Intercite de Nuit from Paris to Latour de Carol, then the Rodalies local train to Barcelona arriving Barcelona at 11:35. This is the most scenic option. It runs daily all year, but there are odd dates and occasional short periods when it doesn't run due to engineering work. That's why there's 'conflicting info'.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,622 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: night train itinerary from paris to barcelona

The current Portbou - Barcelona timetable has a slow regional train from Portbou at 1033 every day arriving Barcelona Sants at 1309. The previous one is two hours earlier.

Full timetable …gencat.cat/docs/rodalies/PDF/R11.pdfnotes are Spanish, Catalan and English.

San Francisco...
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: night train itinerary from paris to barcelona

Thank you All for your valuable replies/posts !!!

-Sam