We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geneva Airport-Interlaken West?

Hudson, Ohio
9 posts
Save Topic
Geneva Airport-Interlaken West?

Hello everyone,

On Friday March 28, my friend and I will be traveling from Geneva Airport to Interlaken West train station, just the one way trip. We are meeting up with my dad and we are leaving by car a few days later.

We are trying to find the cheapest train travel option from the Geneva Airport to Interlaken West. I understand that we will have to switch at Bern. I would like to find a scenic train, and we don't mind if it takes a little longer, because I know that slower trains are often cheaper.

Should we buy tickets now online, or wait and simply buy them the day of? Also, what route would you recommend? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,224 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Geneva Airport-Interlaken West?

With time on my hands I would be tempted by the narrow gauge railways through the mountains from Montreux through Gstaad and Zweisimmen to Spiez, from where it is a short run to Interlaken.

Geneva Airport to Montreux is pretty straightforward, there is a direct rain every half hour.

Whether it is cheaper than the obvious route is largely academic. If you wish to go the pretty way, you will pay the going rate!

There is a Golden Pass Panoramic train at certain times with observation cars, but I would imagine you pay a hefty supplement to travel in it.

You don't need reservations in Switzerland (except for the tourist specials) and don't often save money by buying on line.

You can look up times and fares at www.sbb.ch in a variety of languages. To find the line though the mountains between Montreux and Spiez enter 'via Gstaad' otherwise it sends you the other way via Visp.

Beware the SBB website seems to default to the cost using the half price card fare that most Swiss people can get . Those without pay the full price eg Montreux - Spiez 46 CHF if my reading is correct.

I hope that helps as a start.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,213 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Geneva Airport-Interlaken West?

It's 71 CHF from Geneva Airport to Interlaken West the direct way via Bern, and 74 CHF via Gstaad. If you're in no hurry, it's definitely worth the tiny amount extra to go the more scenic route.

Edited: 04 March 2014, 23:15
Hudson, Ohio
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Geneva Airport-Interlaken West?

The more scenic route going through Gstaad? And should we not worry about buying tickets until we land in Geneva?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,224 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Geneva Airport-Interlaken West?

Going through Gstaad is definitely more scenic. You can buy tickets when you get there. Reservations are not available between Montreux and Gstaad except for what is described as VIP accommodation.

You can find out more about the Montreux - Zweisimmen section at the MOB website http://www.goldenpass.ch/default.asp?OrgID=5

and for Zweisimmen to Spiez at http://www.bls.ch/e/bahn/bahn.php

Both websites have lots of pictures and are in English.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Geneva Airport-Interlaken West?

I have found that both the ticket window and travel center personnel at Geneva Airport to be most helpful. I usually have my routes itemized and they will inform me of savings---for several trips they have computed the regular fares and then advised me of the savings by buying a SBB pass.

Just follow the signage from customs and you cant miss them.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Geneva Airport-Interlaken West?

I have found that both the ticket window and travel center personnel at Geneva Airport to be most helpful. I usually have my routes itemized and they will inform me of savings---for several trips they have computed the regular fares and then advised me of the savings by buying a SBB pass.

Just follow the signage from customs and you cant miss them.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,213 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Geneva Airport-Interlaken West?

An online ticket will save you no money, but may save you time. It is valid for any trains on the specified route on the calendar day for which it is purchased, so it does not commit you to a particular departure time,

8. Re: Geneva Airport-Interlaken West?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 05:28