We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel- Amsterdam - Berlin, Salszburg, Zermatt, Zurich

Singapore
Level Contributor
482 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel- Amsterdam - Berlin, Salszburg, Zermatt, Zurich

I need advice for my upcoming travel in Europe. Date: 17 May - 3 June. Tentavively, Cities that I would like to visit:

Fly into Amsterdam, Berlin, Salszburg (Austria), Zermatt, flyout of Zurich.

Please advice:

1. The most economical rail pass to purchase. I am quite confuse from what I have read online - the Eurail? Europe Rail? etc...The cost?

2. The must see and experience in the cities mentioned above.

3. Considering the the tentative route above, I welcome any suggestions or change.

My idea of travelling is just doing something different, sight seeing, breathing the air and have a taste of the culture of different places.

4. Any suggestions on how to schedule the itinerary that will help maximising the rail pass, cost saving on hotels and enjoying the sights.

Thanks and looking forward to your expert suggestions.

Augustine Tan

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,507 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel- Amsterdam - Berlin, Salszburg, Zermatt, Zurich

1. The most economical railpass? Do not buy one ! Search this forum for Eurail pass, and most of us TA regulars would steer you away from it. It is impractical, expensive, and completely unnecessary.

By booking early (as early as 91 days before travel date for Deutsche Bahn), Amsterdam to Berlin is as cheap as € 49 for a direct train (no train change)

Berlin to Munich, direct train starts at € 79, take the Meridian regional train to Salzburg for € 29.30 everyday price, or use the Bayern ticket special at € 27 for two persons (from Munich to Salzburg)

Cheapest way to Zurich from Munich is by bus, at € 19, then take the local train from Zurich to Zermatt

(all these prices assume early booking)

Admittedly, the Swiss portion of the travel (Zurich to Zermatt) would be the most expensive part of the itinerary.

So, approx cost for the above comes to € 270 per person, compare this with the pass cost of at least € 694 for a 5 day Select pass 4 countries (see http://www.eurail.com/eurail-passes/select-pass/4-countries)

All tickets (with the exception of Zurich to Zermatt) can be booked with www.bahn.com

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,507 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel- Amsterdam - Berlin, Salszburg, Zermatt, Zurich

Edit:

There are also direct trains from Munich to Zurich, at € 29, but actually a nicer way of travelling would be from Salzburg, where frequent direct services exists using the Austrian Federal railways Railjet train (book www.oebb.at). This route goes via the scenic Arlberg pass, see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV1G58ot71k

So, in effect, if you use Munich as your base, you could do a day trip to Salzburg using the 'Bayern ticket' at € 27 return

Singapore
Level Contributor
482 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel- Amsterdam - Berlin, Salszburg, Zermatt, Zurich

Thanks for the advice...it is indeed a great savings travelling the way you have suggested.

Is there one website that I can go to book all my direct train rides.? Or do I have to use a combination of websites? Please advice.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,507 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel- Amsterdam - Berlin, Salszburg, Zermatt, Zurich

See post #1

>>All tickets (with the exception of Zurich to Zermatt) can be booked with www.bahn.com<<

However, for Salzburg to Zurich, you have to book with www.oebb.at

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,780 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel- Amsterdam - Berlin, Salszburg, Zermatt, Zurich

You may make a worthwhile saving by using a Swiss Transfer Ticket https:/…swisstransferticket from wherever you cross the Swiss border by train (Buchs S. G. if using the Arlberg route.) on your journey from Salzburg to Zermatt, and on your journey from Zermatt to Zurich Airport. Providing these journeys are each being done in only one day.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,956 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel- Amsterdam - Berlin, Salszburg, Zermatt, Zurich

You can get tickets on direct trains from Amsterdam to Berlin for as little as €39 on www.bahn.de ;-)

Edited: 06 March 2014, 21:12
Singapore
Level Contributor
482 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train travel- Amsterdam - Berlin, Salszburg, Zermatt, Zurich

Not sure if there is a Driving Forum for Europe.....Considering my itinerary - Amsterdam - Berlin - Munich - Salzburg - Zurich - Zermatt - can someone advice: I have driven extensively in the USA ( Canada -Toronto - Florida) and UK (Edinburgh - London)

1. What is the terrain like for driving - steep winding hills?

2. General cost - petrol, rental

Is it worthwhile to drive?

Thanks

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,780 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train travel- Amsterdam - Berlin, Salszburg, Zermatt, Zurich

For toll costs, approximate fuel costs and approximate driving times without rest stops see www.viamichelin.com Rental quotations are available instantly online from major companies and brokers.

A big issue could be the cost of parking in cities. Or the necessity to choose an out-of-centre hotel to get free hotel parking, leaving you with time and expense for travel between hotel and city centre.

Even tiny Zermatt is not immune from this issue, as you can take a car no closer than Tasch, leaving it there in expensive parking while you pay for a train to Zermatt.

Edited: 07 March 2014, 14:33
Singapore
Level Contributor
482 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train travel- Amsterdam - Berlin, Salszburg, Zermatt, Zurich

Thanks for the information. Very helpful. Can you comment on road condition and weather during 21 may - 3 june. Thanks

Singapore
Level Contributor
482 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train travel- Amsterdam - Berlin, Salszburg, Zermatt, Zurich

Thanks for the information about train and the prices. Can you advice how far ahead should we start making reservations to enjoy the very special train ticket prices.

I have just checked the various sites and found that the prices are really very good. I am trying to confirm the places I would like to visit and probably would take a week. Any idea if this special discounted ticket would be available in a week? My dates of travelling are 21 May - 3 June.

Thanks and best regards.

Augustine