We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing tickets on raileurope-world.com

Phoenix, Arizona
10 posts
Save Topic
Purchasing tickets on raileurope-world.com

Hello, I have recently discovered raileurope-world.com. I am having trouble purchasing my selected tickets when it comes to the final purchase I get the following message, "We're sorry but on this website, shipping to UNITED STATES is not allowed when UNITED STATES is selected as billing country." Does anyone have any suggestions or advice they are willing to share? I have friends in Europe that I could probably send the tickets to or place as the billing address, would this be smarter? Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,484 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchasing tickets on raileurope-world.com

My suggestion, and other frequent posters on this site, avoid third party resellers! Where exactly do you want to go in Europe, give us details, and we can advise you which train administration to buy from.

The best advice is to buy from the rail administration direct, be it the German, Austrian, French or Italian ones.

Phoenix, Arizona
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchasing tickets on raileurope-world.com

Thanks for the heads up.

My buddy and I will be taking a night train from Berlin to Amsterdam.

A train from Amsterdam to Saint Quentin, France.

A train from Saint Quentin to London.

I have notices that raileurope has the cheapest prices I can find and I have been researching a ton.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,484 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchasing tickets on raileurope-world.com

>>raileurope has the cheapest prices<<

That, would be hard to believe...

Berlin to Amsterdam, book with www.bahn.com (booking opens 91 days in advance, earlier if you ring their UK or German office), prices start from €109 (in a 4 berth couchette), €144 (in a 2 bed cabin)

Amsterdam to Saint Quentin, book with en.voyages-sncf.com, prices from € 48. If booking problems encountered, book the same journey with www.capitainetrain.com, same price

Saint Quentin to London, same company, prices from € 76

(these two journeys requires transfer to either an Intercite or TER trains)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,484 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchasing tickets on raileurope-world.com

Checking the RailEurope (US site), for the same date, the price of a couchette (6 person couchette) is US$215 (or € 159) vs. the price I found direct (6 berth couchette € 99)

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,239 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Purchasing tickets on raileurope-world.com

... and Rail Europe charges a hefty delivery fee on top of their already overpriced tickets - do not use!

Florida
Level Contributor
639 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Purchasing tickets on raileurope-world.com

Cody,

For detailed train information you can use the search box on www.seat61.com but avoid going to the links of the paid advertisers such as the high-priced Rail Europe which you will also find on that web site. Just stick to man in seat 61's helpful information for the lowest priced tickets without the problems and misinformation from sites like Rail Europe.

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,624 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Purchasing tickets on raileurope-world.com

Raileurope-world.com = Rail Europe 4A, a subsidiary of SNCF French Railways serving the Australia, Asia, Africa, S America market (hence the '4A')

Raileurope.com = Rail Europe Inc, a subsidiary of SNCF serving USA and Canada.

That's why RE 4A won't tread on its sister company's toes by sending to the USA!

You should book direct with a train operator, www.b-Europe.com is probably where I'd start in this case.

Phoenix, Arizona
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Purchasing tickets on raileurope-world.com

Thanks everyone for the tips! I appreciate all the advice! Checking out all of the new sites now, thank you!!!

9. Re: Purchasing tickets on raileurope-world.com

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2015, 04:50