We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Train from Budapest to Prague

Hello,

I'm searching a train from Budapest to Prague at mav-start.hu site to departure on May 31st.

I have to main options:

1) "2 tickets of SparDay CZ 1: 19,00 euro/person (outward journey)" with 4 trains;

2) "2 tickets of SparDay CZ 2: 29,00 euro/person (outward journey)" with 1 train.

Does any one knows the difference between "SparDay CZ 1" and "SparDay CZ 1"? It's just the price?

Regards,

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,530 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

Each train has a limited number of tickets at €19 and when they have gone the price goes up to €29. When those have gone the price goes up to the standard price which is €83.20 - but in practice you wouldn't need to spend that much as a four-day return costs €49 - they are unlimited in number and you can use any train.

So your results are showing that there are four trains on that date with €19 tickets remaining, and one train with €29 tickets remaining.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

Really thanks GCEK!

So I will buy the option of €29 because the departure time is better for me. I will not returning to Budapest, is a one-way travel.

Is there any possibility to this train travel be cancelled for any reason? Is it something common to happen?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,530 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

Something catastrophic would have to happen for it to be cancelled, so don't worry about that!

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

OK! Good to know.... :)

But, sorry for disturb you again.

I was trying to find, as second option, a night train from Budapest to Prague, from May 30th to 31st.

I check at Mav-Start, ÖBB and Rail Europe. Only Rail Europe show me some options but with a high price (from €188.4 to €216.4).

Is it common? I mean, I can't find night train to Mav-Star? Or can I find it in other website?

Edited: 01 April 2014, 18:28
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,530 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

First thing - NEVER use Rail Europe for ANY tickets. Totally discount that option.

ÖBB won't help you as that is the Austrian Railways site and this train doesn't go through Austria.

On your travel date MÁV is showing the full range of prices - €49 in a 3-berth and €59 in a two-berth sleeper. This might help you europetrainsguide.com/Advice/How-to-Buy-Trai…

This is the ONLY place you can buy this ticket at that price.

Edited: 01 April 2014, 19:47
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

Ok! Thanks for the information.

About ÖBB, I really not realize that they are Austrian, now I understand everything :)

I also was not selecting "Sleeping car" option in MÁV site.

Just one more question (last one! I promisse you): I check MÁV website, faq, etc... they said that "International tickets can only be collected from the e-Ticket machines", but I'm was not able to find when ticket will be available. I mean, I'm arriving Budapest on May 27th, can I already go to a train station and get the ticket just to have sure that nothing is going wrong or I need to get the tickets only "one hour" before (just an example)?

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

You can get the ticket any time you want. Just go to the blue ticket machines and enter the code that MAV will give you.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

OK! Thanks a lot guys!

I just bought my tickets at MÁV!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

am trying to reserve a seat on the train from Budapest to Prague.

I cannot seem to navigate to the page on MavStart where I can actually complete the purchase! (even though I am in the English version).

2 of us are trying to go from Budapest to Prague on Sept 30, 2014. I selected 1st class, (because I heard there is more legroom). And it is 35 Euro for each of us, which is good (way better than Rail Europe's price for the same train!) And I can select the time of the train I want. And I put that in "my basket". But then I'm stuck - I can't get to the part where I can actually pay and reserve!

I emailed the site and they replied that I will hear back within one month!

Does anyone have any advice?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,426 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Budapest to Prague

Hello @Mary J

You can certainly purchase 1st class seats if the pricing is not an issue for you but the difference in comfort levels is very minimal so it will really be your choice.

Have you registered with the MAV site sometimes there is an issue with purchasing when you register at the same time as trying to purchase tickets ... also you can take a look at this link it will will show you how to do it step by step

europetrainsguide.com/Advice/How-to-Buy-Trai…

Whatever you do do NOT use RailEurope they are a high cost reseller and you will not be doing yourself any favors by using them

Best

SEBESZ