We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eurail pass seat reservations Geneva to Paris

Perth, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Eurail pass seat reservations Geneva to Paris

Hello,

My wife and I have purchased a 4-country Eurail select pass and will be travelling through Italy, Switzerland and France by train later this month and early next. Obviously there is some debate about whether or not Eurail passes are worth it but we have our reasons for choosing one.

Anyway, my question regards booking seats on the trip from Geneva to Paris. All of the websites I can find say that this is a TGV Lyria route and we will need to reserve seats for an extra fee. However, I can't find anywhere that will let me book these tickets using our Eurail passes. SBB.ch seems to be the most logical choice but after filling in the trip details there does not seem to be an option for Eurail passes in the discount card lists.

The only place I could find to book using a rail pass was the much maligned Raileurope, which was going to cost $84 for the two of us. Seemed a bit much for just a seat reservation - is this really what we'll have to pay, or are they just adding a huge mark up?

Is there somewhere else we can book these tickets online ahead of time? I am a little worried that if we leave it until we are in country (about a week ahead of this particular journey) that all of the passholder seats will have been taken up.

Thanks!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
57,652 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eurail pass seat reservations Geneva to Paris

I've no doubt that RailEurope are making a huge mark up, they seem to do this on everything they sell!

I don't know how you go about reserving seats on SNCF - can't whoever you bought the pass from help? This is one of the big problems of buying and using a railpass in some countries, which is why they are generally not considered desirable on here.

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted!

Edited: 08 April 2014, 14:03
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,148 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Eurail pass seat reservations Geneva to Paris

If you want peace of mind, grit your teeth and pay Rail Europe what it is asking.

Your USD price works out at €30 each, and according to Man in Seat 61 the First Class 'special passholder fare' on these trains is 'from €21'. Note the 'from'....

Cheaper in second class, but I'm assuming you want First if you've bought a Eurail pass.

Your only alternative is to buy at a Swiss train station.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,148 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Eurail pass seat reservations Geneva to Paris

Ah... the AUD price is €28.5 - so even closer.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,444 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eurail pass seat reservations Geneva to Paris

The railpass fee is around 10 euros 2nd class, but from 21 euros 1st class as this covers the food they are supposed to serve. Rail Europe will add a fee on top of this fee, perhaps another 8 euros, but they are the ONLY place you can book passholder fares, other than in person at the station, because none of the sites that sell tickets for this train - www.sbb.ch, www.capitainetrain.com, www.voyages-sncf.com, www.tgv-lyria.com - sell passholder tickets, only normal tickets.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,572 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eurail pass seat reservations Geneva to Paris

>there does not seem to be an option for Eurail passes in the discount card lists.<

You will have the same problem with France, having the Eurail pass

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eurail pass seat reservations Geneva to Paris

I guess now you're starting to work out why passes are almost NEVER a good option. You stated you have your reasons for buying the pass, but those reasons are costing you dearly. And in Italy and particularly France it is actually much easier to travel without the pass.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,148 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Eurail pass seat reservations Geneva to Paris

Except on the pocket where it is usually very much harder, it is slightly easier to travel in Italy with a pass than with point-to-point tickets. You have free access to all Regional trains, and you can buy your reservations for faster trains online, at ticket machines and at booking offices in the same way as point-to-point tickets. Of course with a pass you do have to fill in your Pass Diary, but you are spared having to validate Regional tickets.

Perth, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Eurail pass seat reservations Geneva to Paris

Thanks for all the replies!

I had been assuming the additional reservation fee was around €10 per trip - as it has been when booking our tickets throughout Italy. Also, probably due to its less than stellar reputation, I had automatically assumed that RailEurope prices would be among the most expensive!

It is not really costing us dearly to go with a pass, as we had decided to travel first-class where possible anyway, and didn't have the luxury of a 2 or 3 month head start to book earlybird tickets. Other than this particular journey it hasn't been too much of a hassle at all - booking our reservations for Italian trains was quite simple, and the Swiss internal ones don't need booking ahead, so it is just the getting to Paris bit that wasn't straight forward.

But yes, I would definitely think twice before getting a rail pass in the future.

Perth, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Eurail pass seat reservations Geneva to Paris

I spoke too soon :-)

i had forgotten that the RailEurope price was in euros, not AUD - so it is €84 to start with. Then after I add them to my shopping basket, it mysteriously jumps up to €114. There is no explanation for this price increase, but they do "apologize for the situation".

Then of course there is a €8 booking fee, and a €12 shipping fee - because the option to print my own tickets is disabled.

Total price? €134 - I see why their reputation is mud!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,572 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eurail pass seat reservations Geneva to Paris

The cost of your pass (I am assuming the minimum 5 days) is €694, or € 69.4 per day/person.

www.eurail.com/eurail-passes/select-pass

The cost of a 1st class ticket on the TGV Lyria (Geneva - Paris) is € 59, reservation included.

Passholder surcharge only is roughly € 28, so in effect you are paying € 98 for the ticket !

Actually, the price in Australia (cheapest) is A$55 for the reservation, plus their delivery fee

Edited: 09 April 2014, 01:50
Get answers to your questions