We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Right cost on Renfe website?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Topic
Right cost on Renfe website?

I'm looking at train prices from Barcelona to Madrid. On RailEurope, tickets are $157 for the AVE train.

However, I'm a bit confused about the ticket options on the Renfe website. The "Promo" ticket option can get me a ticket as cheap as $66?? It's not asking for a Promotion code or anything, so am I reading this right?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Right cost on Renfe website?

oh and that $66 is for the same AVE train at the same time as the one I found on RailEurope

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,634 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Right cost on Renfe website?

Well of course it is. Avoid Rail Europe, they are just an expensive third party site. Always buy direct. No need of any code, it is just the different levels of ticketing they are selling by booking direct.

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Right cost on Renfe website?

A simple guide - seat61.com/…_in_a_nutshell

A comprehensive guide - tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

surrey, england
Level Contributor
4,792 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Right cost on Renfe website?

discounted prices are not posted on third party sites like raileurope, only regular prices are listed. try not to use raileurope as they are expensive.

he promo fare quoted to you in renfe website is the cheapest you can find unless it is a mesa ticket.i don't know for what date you are looking for, but buy it now.

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,700 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Right cost on Renfe website?

Put another way, most western European railways have now abandoned traditional 'one fare fits all' kilometric tariff for an airline-style fares structure with cheap, cheaper and cheapest fares depending how far in advance you pre-book and how popular that date, day or train is, and a much more expensive full-flex fare if you turn up at the station and ask for a ticket for the next train.

There's a long-standing international agreement between rail operators called the 'TCV' system that enables them to sell each other's full-flex fares.

But they can't sell the cheaper ones unless they have made a specific bilateral agreement with the other country and implemented a direct computer link with that other country's own ticketing system.

Raileurope.com is FRENCH Railways.

So they can sell full-flex tickets for Germany, Spain, Italy, etc. but NOT the full range of cheap fares offered by those countries' own operators.

So if you want (say) a 19 euro cheap ticket Rome-Florence, or a 29 euro ticket Frankfurt-Berlin, go direct to the relevant train operator.

In this case, go to www.renfe.com to see Renfe's full fare range, including their cheap Promo and Promo+ advance-purchase fares. Just buy one and print your own ticket!

If you have any problems, especiually at payment stage, you can also buy at www.loco2.com which has a direct connection to Renfe's ticketing system, so same Promo and Promo+ prices, no fees, same print-at-home tickets.

6. Re: Right cost on Renfe website?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 05:16