We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail travel...again..in Italy!

North Yelta...
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Rail travel...again..in Italy!

I seem to be going in circles literally. Having decided to book from Venice to Monterosso for May 3 as Holiday Weekend when I go to the Trenitalia site I dont seem to be able to book and pay. I can find the train I want but I get nowhere. What if anything do I need to do before I try and book. Is there a step I need to do? Any help will be appreciated.

North Yelta...
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Rail travel...again..in Italy!

Thanks understood. The saga continues!

I was able to get into Trenitalia via Firefox! Hooray--get right through the process -- 2 for 1 first class seats Venice through Milan to Monterosso and then payment kicked back due to bank issues here in Australia! Could not believe it. Have to try again later. So will book what I can this end on husband's computer using Firefox, knowing I can use my Ipad and itilirail as a backup whilst in Italy if needed. Keep fingers crossed for me when I try to rebook later. If little plumes of smoke can be seen from South Australia it is not the cockies burning off it is me!!! Thank you one and all.

Bognor Regis...
Level Contributor
2 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Rail travel...again..in Italy!

Have you tried using the french SNCF site? It has taken the place of Rail Europe and still seems the best way to prebook rail travel in all European countries. We have just taken an Italo train from Rome to Venice and cannot speak too highly of the experience both of booking with Vovages-SNCF and the Italo service.

Bognor Regis...
Level Contributor
2 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Rail travel...again..in Italy!

Ps to my earlier post - did you know there was a strike affecting Italian railways on Sunday? Could that have been relevant? (Italo trains were not affected BTW.)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,007 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Rail travel...again..in Italy!

@Ewan G

I am sorry to say that you have given a very misleading advice by saying "seems the best way to prebook rail travel in all European countries"

For a start Rail Europe and French SNCF (en.voyages-sncf.com) are still two separate entities (notwithstanding that there are some business links between the two structures).

Rail Europe is best avoided, especially if you are a North American resident.

French SNCF can be used for most trains in France, and Thalys tickets (although some North American residents do have problems in booking with them, and therefore TA contributors have recommended a reputable agent www.capitainetrain.com, as a subsitute).

Again, French SNCF can be a useful comparison and source for some TGV trains into Germany, some CNL (City Night Line) tickets, but please AVOID for some routes that they have no direct booking system connection for, example Portugal.

What happens, as has been documented in this forum, is that you will get 'Open' tickets with no reservation, at the FULL price, at your inconvenience.

See this thread, for example,

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-i12483-k7327…

and this:

tripadvisor.com.au/…56806207

Edited: 15 April 2014, 21:04
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,632 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Rail travel...again..in Italy!

Do not use SNCF websites for booking most trains in Italy - the websites do not give any advance reductions on Trenitalia trains.

It's OK for Italo trains, but these run on few routes and are a tiny proportion of Italian trains.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Rail travel...again..in Italy!

This was happening to me initially and i understand you frustration, but now I have managed to book some trains...hurrah! You only get a limited time to book and pay then it cuts out. You must get the names of the stations correct and in italian. I click on non registered user and put my email so they can send the receipt, and a phoney phone number just so all the blanks are filled up. And it works! It then goes to seat selection if you click on choose own seat.

You are trying for dates after june 15 are you? Try again.

North Yelta...
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Rail travel...again..in Italy!

Hi to all

Maggie girl in Adelaide I am in Moonta and I have just about given up! I get right through to the payment page so I am not having any problems with stations, dates, times, seats, or anything. It kicks back with a banking error each time. Have contacted bank who have assured me there is no issue with the bank. Can I ask please how you and others are paying?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,007 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Rail travel...again..in Italy!

If you are from Australia, make sure that your cards are registered, i.e. 'Verified by Visa' for Visa cards, and 'Secure Code' for Mastercards. I know for a fact that SNCF will not accept non registered cards on their site.

Since Trenitalia uses UniCredit as their payment gateway, they may enforce that condition as well, see

https:/…securecode.html

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,164 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Rail travel...again..in Italy!

Try using www.italiarail.com

It sells for much the same price as Trenitalia, but with a $5 service fee. I believe the fee will be refunded if you send your reference number in an e-mail to tripadvisor AT italiarail.com

North Yelta...
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Rail travel...again..in Italy!

Well Sydneynick....you were right on the button!

After several failed attempts at trying to book with Trenitalia using husband's Firefox and yes that did allow me to get through to payment stage. Ripper! Payment a whole new ball game. Error message saying banking institution problem....so onto Bank.....no it's not. So tried again and again with a different card. this am decided to pay with PayPal ..... This time "generic error" couldn't even get in to book. So Mr Sydneynick back to IPad and your link and whammo in and booked and paid within a matter of minutes. After all the mucking around who gives a hoot about the booking fee!

Now however in another quandary and need advise.

Only tickets for Rome to Venice on fast train are pretty expensive. I can only see one other "intercity" train. Is it really necessary to prebook for this section of our trip ie would you? Or are there trains on the day so to speak. Bearing in mind this is our first time in Italy and have no Italian under our belt. suggestions please. Book or not to book?

Edited: 17 April 2014, 06:44