We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Report + Thank you!

Michigan
Level Contributor
491 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Train Report + Thank you!

Usually I write trip reports about restaurants and hotels, but decided to post something here too because I wanted to say a big THANK YOU to everyone on this forum. I could not have pulled off our trip throughout Europe without you all!

We traveled from Paris to Frankfurt, Frankfurt to Salzburg, Salzburg to Venice, Venice to Florence, Florence to Lucerne, Lucerne to Paris - all by train and all by pre-booking tickets on each country's rail website in advance. And amazingly it all worked! :-)

A few thoughts:

1. We loved traveling by train; it was quick, easy and relaxing

2. We took food & wine on all rides longer than 2 hours and enjoyed it very much. We read, watched movies on our iPad and watched the scenery go by.

3. The trip from Salzburg to Venice was through the Brenner Pass and absolutely gorgeous - we ate in the dining car which was lots of fun. The only downside to that trip was that we had booked 1st class tickets, but that meant sharing a 6 person "room" with other folks and the train was crowded. We ended up with two elderly women and their little dog - it was ok, but not what I had expected (hence the reason we spent so much time in the dining car)

4. We found that by pre-booking, we could get 1st class tickets for only 9-10 euros per person. It was worth it when we did. My husband is a big guy - 6'2 and broad shouldered. The extra seat & leg room were well worth it for the longer trips.

5. The Milan train station is a crazy busy and crowded - especially on a Friday afternoon. If you're getting on a train and someone offers to "help" you with your luggage, they may take it and take it all the way to your seat and then expect a "tip" (we didn't tip since we never asked for his help - he just helped himself to my suitcase)

6. We paid for "seat reservations" on all trains; we liked knowing that we were sitting together and not scrambling for a seat

7. Pack LIGHT! There isn't always room for everyone's luggage and those people who haul 2-3 jumbo sized suitcases sometimes just left them in the middle of the aisle because there was nowhere to put them. We traveled with 2 carry-on sized suitcases and 1 backpack for the two of us and it was quite manageable. Make use of the space between the backs of the seats - it's perfect for 2 small suitcases.

Thanks again for everyone's help - we had an awesome trip!

Julie

Somerset, UK
Level Contributor
489 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Report + Thank you!

Tripadvisor forums are a great resource and I find them invaluable. I'm delighted you had a great, memorable trip.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,892 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Report + Thank you!

Glad you enjoyed your trip, and hope other travellers learn your advice to 'PACK LIGHT'!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,845 posts
1,983 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Report + Thank you!

The problem of luggage blocking aisles and vestibules is even worse in the UK, particularly when a train is cancelled and the next one has to cope with standees.

Thank you for confirming what many of us know: travelling by train throughout the world is an excellent way to go, not just in Europe.

Your practice of booking point to point does not suit avid travellers like me who enjoy changing their minds at the last minute, but for families, point to point tickets can be sensible compared with my preference for a Eurail global pass.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
21,336 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Report + Thank you!

Great train report! Thanks for sharing your experiences!

5. Re: Train Report + Thank you!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2015, 05:15