We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Warsaw to Istabul Train 16 days

St-lambert
Level Contributor
902 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
From Warsaw to Istabul Train 16 days

Hello

I will be at Warsaw mid-june , want to make my way to Istanbubl by train I have 16 days to get there. Wich stops would you do in between ? Wich one of them will be my birthday.

I am traveling solo.

Merci

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,797 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Warsaw to Istabul Train 16 days

So many possibilities!

But I'd go like this:

1) Warsaw-Krakow by InterCity train, buy at the station or at www.intercity.pl

2) Krakow-Budapest by sleeper train, buy at the station or order via reliable Polish agency www.polrail.com

3) Budapest-Bucharest by day or night train, book online for cheap fares in advance at www.mav-start.hu

You might want to stop off at Sighisoara or Brasov in Transylvania, too, then take a Romanian domestic train onwards to Bucharest, www.cfrcalitori.ro .

4) Bucharest-Istanbul by daily 'Bosfor' train leaving around 12:30 arriving around 08:00 next day, with sleeping-car and couchette car.

This train can't be booked online, buy at the station, fare about 40 euros plus 9 euros for a couchette or (better) 20 euros for a bed in a 2-bed sleeper.

This is a lovely scenic ride across the Danube over Europe's longest steel bridge (2.5km) into Bulgaria, across rural Bulgaria via the Shipka Pass, then into Turkey. Bring supplies and maybe some beer or a bottle of wine and relax!

Note that the last 70 miles from Cerkezkoy into Istanbul is currently by rail replacement bus while they modernise the tracks - The platform where you get off the train at Cerkezkoy is the same platform where the Orient Express was snowed in for some days in 1929, the incident which gave Agatha Christie the basis for the plot of her 1934 novel 'Murder on the Orient Express'. How's that for a bit of history?

Last suggestion, you could also stop off for 24h at Veliko Tarnovo, a lovely place in Bulgaria, the daily Bucharest-Istanbul 'Bosfor' stops there in the evening.

St-lambert
Level Contributor
902 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Warsaw to Istabul Train 16 days

Hello

Tk's so much, I will look at this. Any other small beautiful village doable by day trip from the main town ?

By the way before this I am doing Hong Kong to St Petersburg, all the way by train with 7 stops.

Merci

St-lambert
Level Contributor
902 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Warsaw to Istabul Train 16 days

hello again i forgot to say I have been to Budapest.

Tk's

4. Re: From Warsaw to Istabul Train 16 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2015, 05:16