We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel in Italy

Feilding, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel in Italy

We are planning a short vacation in Italy in July this year. Three days in Rome, 3 in Florence and 3 in Venice. We thought we would travel between these places by train. Would this be the best option or does someone have other suggestions please? If you recommend train travel as the way to go, is there a "pass" we can buy or do we buy individual tickets for each of the trips.

Thanks 😃

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,823 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel in Italy

You buy individual tickets, and it's by far the best option for travel. Booking now will get you the cheapest fares, though it also commits you to particular trains as cheap tickets are not exchangeable.

See www.trenitalia.com clicking the Uk flag for English and entering your 'hour' of departure, e.g. enter '13' for 13.00. Stations are Roma Termini, Firenze S. M. Novella and Venezia S. Lucia.

There is also a competing operator http://www.italotreno.it/en/ but it has fewer trains and does not serve Rome's main station Roma Termini. It leaves from Roma Tiburtina, which Trenitalia's trains also serve, and less frequently from Roma Ostiense by the Pyramide Metro station.

Edited: 20 April 2014, 15:06
Feilding, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel in Italy

Thank you so much for your very detailed and very helpful response to my question. I feel so much more confident now about booking my tickets and I will do as you suggested above.

Thanks again 😃

Florida
Level Contributor
647 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel in Italy

I just wanted to repeat about booking now or as soon as your itinerary is fixed. The least expensive tickets on the high speed trains can sell out fast especially for peak travel times in peak travel months and prices just keep going higher until no more seats are available. I love train travel in Italy--first and second class are both very good. We will be exploring more of Italy by train again next month and I bought online and printed our tickets for the high speed trains 4 months in advance of my travel dates. Tickets for the slower regional trains can be bought at the train station on your day of travel since they do not sell out or go up in price.

Feilding, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel in Italy

Awesome! Thanks for all the helpful info

Covington, Louisiana
Level Contributor
83 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel in Italy

I need your help. As of this past April I see Italo has one train leaving Rome Termini at 10:26 to Salerno. Is Italo assigned a specific track? Also our flight arrives in Rome from USA at 6:30am. Is this enough time to make the 10:26 out of Termini?thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,018 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel in Italy

I think it is unlikely that a specific track will be assigned for one train a day. Train departure platforms often have to be changed for moperational reasons, just like air flights to not always leave from the same gates.

You should have plenty of time. It should take no more than an hour to get out of FCO, and the Leonardo Express runs every 30 minutes, taking 32 minutes for the journey.

You would have a much wider choice of Italo trains if you took the FL1 suburban line from FCO to either Ostiense or Tiburtina. It costs less than the Leonardo Express, too.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,823 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train travel in Italy

You won't have a much wider choice of Italo trains to Salerno, as Italo only operates one train a day to Salerno.

However Trenitalia operates around twenty direct trains a day from Rome to Salerno, including Frecciarossa trains of comparable or better quality than the Italo train, and the very comfortable Frecciargento trains which are just as fast. The Frecciabianca and Intercity trains are slower but also comfortable.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,018 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train travel in Italy

Oh damn. I missed the bit about going to Salerno.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train travel in Italy

Aside from the extra reservation fees required for certain classes of train (see above), rail passes cover all travel on trains run by the Italian State Railway (Ferrovie dello Stato Italiano). Rail passes do not, however, cover most privately run trains, such as these biggies:

Thello night trains: These trains are your only direct night-train option between Italy and Paris. For the best price, buy your ticket months ahead (or consider flying).

Italo: These high-speed trains connect Italy's main cities...but so do the equally fast and more frequent Le Frecce trains, which are covered by rail passes (though they do require a paid seat reservation; see above).

Circumvesuviana: This service is your only train option to get from Naples to Pompei and Sorrento; fortunately, tickets between Naples and either Pompei or Sorrento only cost about $5.

Malpensa Express: The train between Milan's Malpensa Airport and the city's central station (Milano Centrale) costs about $15.

Edited: 10 August 2014, 06:08
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,823 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Train travel in Italy

Rail passes are almost always a bad buy for tourists in Italy.

Get answers to your questions