We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europe Trip Cities to Visit

Perth, Australia
8 posts
Save Topic
Europe Trip Cities to Visit

Planning a Euro trip... Prob about 4 months!

Starting around 1st March 2015 and roughly following the path of the cities below.

Has anyone got any thoughts/ideas/suggestions of places, cities or things roughly along this path?

Also any thoughts on plane v train travel would be good!

I will be somewhat flexible with the exact route but following this list of cities seems like a good starting guide.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

Athens, Greece

Rome, Italy

Milan, Italy

Interlaken, Switzerland

Munich, Germany

Prague, Czech Republic

Berlin, Germany

Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Belgium

London, United Kingdom

Dublin, Ireland

Scotland, United Kingdom

Paris, France

Barcelona, Spain

Madrid, Spain

Lisbon, Portugal

Morocco

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,389 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Europe Trip Cities to Visit

You will need either to fly between Athens and Rome or find a way across Greece to the ferries that would take you to the south of Italy thence by train.

Ditto Lisbon to Morocco - flying is the only means. There are ferries from some cities in southern Spain across to Morrocco, so it might make sense to switch the order towards the end of the trip.

You may need a visa for Morocco.

For the rest, consult the excellent website www.seat61.com and invest in a copy of the European Rail Timetable www.europeanrailtimetable.eu - for a few dollars you can see everything you need to know in one small paperback book about routes, times and ticket options.

Rule number 1 - do not buy a railpass. Buy your tickets from the train companies (Eurail DOES NOT RUN TRAINS) as no railpass includes the reservations required for many long distance domestic trains in southern and eastern Europe nor Eurostar to London and not for international trains. Most reservations for passholders have to be obtained in person, very few train companies allow pass holders to so on line. If you buy direct from the train company any reservation required will be included free of charge. And you will get the best range of discounts. The cheapest fares will mean setting some legs of your trip into stone around 90 days in advance. If you leave it until the last minute the train you want might be full and will certainly be a lot more expensive.

Edited: 24 April 2014, 09:04
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Europe Trip Cities to Visit

Unless you hold an EU/EEA passport make sure you do not violate the 90/180 days rule - most of your intinerary seem to be in Schengen. The immigration authorities may not chase after you on this trip even if you do, but next time you arrive in any Schenegen country you will be detained and send on the first flight back home with a up to 5 year ban stamp in your passport and possibly a fine.

Edited: 24 April 2014, 09:05
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Europe Trip Cities to Visit

Also, Scotland isn't a city, we're a whole country don't you know :-P

I recommend you visit Glasgow as well as Edinburgh. Edinburgh has the history but Glasgow has the culture (and the banter :-))

Perth, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Europe Trip Cities to Visit

Perfect advice... exactly the kind of info I am after! Cheers!

Perth, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Europe Trip Cities to Visit

Haha... I do realise Scotland is a country... Only reason I just wrote Scotland is because I know I want to visit there, but just havnt decided on exactly where to visit yet... Glasgow and Edinburgh will surely be on my short list, just depends on how much time we have available if we can do both! Cheers!

Perth, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Europe Trip Cities to Visit

Is there a good website with all the details of the 90/180 day rule you mentioned?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,763 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Europe Trip Cities to Visit

Here is the full manual for the 90/180 days rule

…europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/polic…

Perth, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Europe Trip Cities to Visit

So if i travel for 120 days in total and spend 60 days starting in the schengen, then 30 days in the UK, then back to the schengen for the final 30 days, this should be ok??

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Europe Trip Cities to Visit

Both UK and Ireland are outside the Schengan agreement. London to Dublin is possible by train and ferry, although it does take most oa a day and it would add Wales to your list. To get from there to Scotland you would hae to go up to Northern Ireland. From anywhere in Scotland to Paris is quite a treck by train and many locals would recommend flying. However, the overnight Caledonian Sleeper back down to London should certainly be considered and then carrying on by Eurostar train.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Europe Trip Cities to Visit

Scotland to Paris is a long trip but it depends on your travel style! I went from one end of Thailand to the other on buses and trains and everyone thought I was crazy, every local I met was insisting I flied haha. But I loved it!

Quite a scenic journey through the Scottish and English countryside so if you're going to take the sleeper I recommend just flying to Paris from Scotland if you choose that route; sometimes you can get easyjet flights to CDG from Glasgow or Edinburgh for less than £30.