We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thalys seat booking

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
thalys seat booking

Hoping someone can help. I'm planning to book tomorrow for Paris to Ghent. I've looked at www.seat61.com and I've determined which carriage and seats will work best for us (family of 6). I tried a dummy booking on either Thalys.com or b-Europe.com (can't remember which right now), and didn't see a section to choose seats. I'm assuming they'll seat us together but how do we choose the seats with the tables? (only one group per carriage for second class) Is there a pop up to choose seats once payment is made?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,444 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: thalys seat booking

Neither site allow choice of specific seats.

I'd use www.b-europe.com as this easily books you through to Ghent with a cheaper 'Any Belgian station' fare. You'll be sat together but not necessarily at a table.

If you use www.capitainetrain.com you'll usually get a chance to request table for 4 ('4 seater') but it will only do tickets that can be printed, and a French-based system can't do self-print tickets for a Belgian train, so it can't book you through to Gent, you'll need to book Paris to Bruxelles Midi then buy an onward ticket separately at the station in Brussels or at www.belgianrail.be, which costs a few euros more in total than the ABS deal.

Edited: 30 April 2014, 06:18
Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: thalys seat booking

Thank you. After much googling last night, I found out that voyages.sncf.com does allow for booking Thalys trains and prebooking seats. I ran a few dummy bookings and it allowed to book six togheter with a table. It seemed to have the print at home option as well.

Does this seem accurate? Is there any downfall to using the French rail site to book the thalys?

By the way, I'm looking for the 18:15 train from Paris to Ghent. Its direct so I don't actually need the ABS option. Its the only direct train of the day. Perhaps that's the reason that the print at home option is available from the French rail site?

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,444 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: thalys seat booking

Voyages-sncf.com, thalys.com (when the journey starts in France) and capitainetrain.com all connect to the same French railways system.

Voyages-sncf.com keeps trying to divert you to Rail Europe if you're from the UK or USA, so better to avoid and redirects and use capitainetrain.

You cannot pick specific seats from a plan, only request seat type. You can select a table for 4, but there are 6 of you so you'll have to have some of you sitting in another row or across the aisle.

Yes, if it's the one daily direct train to Gent they'll all do print-at-home.

Edited: 30 April 2014, 13:13
Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: thalys seat booking

Thank you very much. :-)

You're right of course, not actual seats but at least the configuration I'm looking for. The default when i choose family seating has us four at a table on one side and two across from each other at a table on the other side. I was also able to try and book two sets of tickets so another option for seating opened up in a different car, then i could cancel one before proceeding.

i booked tix last year from Basel to Paris and was able to avoid raileurope so I'll do the same tonight when I book. :-)

5. Re: thalys seat booking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions