We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage recommendations please!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage recommendations please!

Hi all, my family and I (myself, husband and 2 kids 6 & 10) are travelling to Europe in July this year. We will be doing most of our commuting between countries via train. We want to pack as light as possible, but obviously with 2 kids this may be a little difficult. Sorry if it's a silly question, but what would be the largest recommended size suitcases to take onboard? I was thinking two 28 inch suitcases and a backpack each for me and my husband and a smaller backpack for each of the kids. Any recommendations appreciated. Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,777 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage recommendations please!

We always travel with a 26 inch medium case (I guess 28 inch is in a similar range), something like this

theluggageprofessionals.com.au/antler-luggag…

However, it is not so much the height (67 cm) that is the problem. I just managed to squeeze this suitcase (with a width of 44cm) between the back-to-back seats in an EuroCity train from Zurich.

Obviously, every train is different, and I am talking in general here, but where the luggage area is already full (at the end of each carriage), you may have to:

- put it into the overhead rack at your seat

- squeeze it between back to back seat empty space

Hence, the wider it is, the more of a problem.

If you want to PM me, I can send you some photographs of the different things I did in various countries.

(Oh, and I recommend do not bring too many backpacks, not so much because they are not allowed, but to make it easy for your family to handle the various luggages and your kids while you go up the steps into the carriage)

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,270 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage recommendations please!

The less luggage the better. On many trains you may find the available space already taken - in much of Europe seat reservation is required for long distance journeys and it would be just your luck to be seated in a carriage full of people off on holiday taking their entire lives with them.

Regional and local trains often have little if any dedicated luggage space. As hadiwi56a says the situation is different in each country depending on the type of train, the day of the week, time of day - don't even think of taking huge bags onto a European commuter train around even a small city in rush hours, anymore so than you would in Sydney.

If you will be travelling in the UK, many trains there are noted for having very little space for baggage.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,553 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage recommendations please!

Bear in mind that you have to load and unload the luggage yourselves; there won't be any railway employees to do it for you.

And here is a tip for getting off trains at an intermediate station (if it's not the terminus) with luggage plus kids. Trains do not wait very long at intermediate stations. You have two adults, plus a 10-year-old who ought to be able to take responsibility for younger sibling. Shortly before the train arrives at the station where you are getting off (make sure you know what time you are due to arrive, and if possible the name of the station before yours, so you can get ready in good time), assemble all luggage and the entire family near the door to enable a speedy exit.

As soon as the train stops, one adult (A) gets out onto the platform, with at least one item of luggage. Station staff will see someone is getting out. Other adult (B) passes all luggage, each item in turn, to adult A on platform. Big child is responsible for getting small child off train. Adult B has quick look round to make sure nothing is left on the train, and gets out onto platform.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage recommendations please!

Thank you so much for the advice everyone, greatly appreciated :)

5. Re: Luggage recommendations please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 05:17