We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Nepal to Beijing by train

Molde, Norway
3 posts
Save Topic
From Nepal to Beijing by train

My friend and I are visiting Nepal early in March, and after a few days we wold like to travel to Beijing. We tought travelling by train would be a good way to see China on the way. We were wondering if this would be expensive, seen from a backpackers budget, or not? And how long will the travel be? We would also like to stop by the Great Wall of China.

Any tips?

Thanks!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,977 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: From Nepal to Beijing by train

Intrigued by your question, I consulted my friend Google.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railways_in_Nepal

Back to the drawing board...

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Nepal to Beijing by train

The Great Wall is best seen by a day tour from Beijing. If you spend the time researching it you may be able to work out a way of getting there without using a tour, however it's likely, as a tourist, that the best option is to do it from Beijing once you get there - it is not really a "stop by" kind of place and the day tours are cheap enough, depending on which part of the wall you want to visit. There's more info in the Beijing forums.

I would say that you might want to look into travelling through the Assam region of India and onwards into China via that route, however most foreign travel advice recommends against travelling in this region due to armed robberies etc. Just depends how risk averse you are as a traveller.

If you only have a short time within which to do this trip I'd recommend flying. You'll need at least 4 days to see the city of Beijing; there's so much to do. If you don't want to fly the whole way you could look into flying to somewhere like Chengdu or Guangzhou (Air China fly direct from Kathmandu) and travelling by train to Beijing. You could also work a stop in Xian into your itinerary this way. Having travelled between Shanghai and Beijing by train, it was nothing to write home about. Maybe travelling through more rural regions would be more interesting.

www.seat61.com has plenty of information about Chinese trains

Cheers

Edited: 11 May 2014, 17:27
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Nepal to Beijing by train

I did an overland trip from Beijing to Kathmandu, via Tibet. It's an absolutely spectacular journey. Highly recommended. There is no train between Kathmandu and Lhasa but there are numerous options for road travel along the "friendship highway". The two day train from Lhasa to Beijing is an experience in itself - we took hard sleepers which were quite comfortable.

I understand that tourist visas to Tibet are becoming more difficult to obtain (I did the trip in 2011) so that might be a factor for you. There was (and probably still is) also a rule that foreigners were required to be accompanied by a tour operator at all times - in practice this means you have to book a tour, but you can be left to your own devices when not in transit.

A quick google search produced this, which will give you an idea of the type of trip you'd be looking at:

tibettravel.org/tibet-train-tour/kathmandu-l…

There are many different operators so it would be worth shopping around.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,691 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Nepal to Beijing by train

You cannot train all the way. First get to Lhasa. Understand that it is very far. You will need a visa for China plus a special permit for Tibet and you must join a tour for Tibet.

For the train tickets you can use an agent like this one who is top ranked in TA: http://www.china-diy-travel.com/

Edited: 13 June 2014, 00:19
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Nepal to Beijing by train

I was going to say that when I was at school I learned that between Nepal and China was a rather tall range of mountains called the Himalayas. Rather hard to build a railway across them.

I saw a TV programme about the railway to Lhasa not long ago. It goes so high that passengers are provided with oxygen and medical disclaimers are required!

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Nepal to Beijing by train

if anyone is thinking of doing this then for all sorts of reasons it is better to go China to Nepal rather than the other way around so plan flights and the whole trip that way

Raebareli, India
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: From Nepal to Beijing by train

I want to go china Xingtai City for my father treatment without passport aur visa . it is possible to go from Nepal.

Raebareli, India
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: From Nepal to Beijing by train

whether it is possible to travel from Nepal to china (Xingtai City). without any paasport aur visa

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,617 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Nepal to Beijing by train

As I understand it:

1. Kathmandu to Lhasa...

Foreigners are only legally permitted to make this journey across the border as part of an organised bus tour. Various companies do this, typically 7-8 days and $400. But sounds amazing.

Try Tashi Delek Nepal Treks & Expeditions (www.tashidelektreks.com.np) who do tours leaving Kathmandu for Lhasa every Tuesday & Saturday March to November, and every Saturday November to March.

For journeys starting at the Tibet end, try Tibet International Travels & Tours (www.tibetintl.com).

Allegedly, these companies operate the tours, although you'll find other agencies reselling those tours, for example www.heiantreks.com, www.trekkingtibet.com, www.visitnepal.com/getaway (departing Kathmandu every Saturday April-October, $450 + $100 Tibetan permit) or do a Google search for other agencies.

2. Lhasa to Beijing...

There's a daily train, 2 nights 1 day, not a problem. Pre-book with an agency such as www.china-diy-travel.com or www.chinahighlights.com booking opens 20 days ahead.

You'll obviously need a Chinese visa and a Tibet Permit.

10. Re: From Nepal to Beijing by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2015, 07:15