We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest- Kelenfold to zagreb, compulsory reservation?

Budapest, Hungary
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Budapest- Kelenfold to zagreb, compulsory reservation?

I found a train fro the kelenfold train station tomorrow at 6:12 but I cannot book the tickets through the DB BAHN website, it says its 'subject to compulsory reservation' does this mean I can show up tomorrow and just buy my ticket before I get on or do I need to reserve it now? And if so how do I go about reserving it?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,970 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest- Kelenfold to zagreb, compulsory reservation?

Just buy the ticket tomorrow, €29, or return €32.

Only use Kelenfold if it is more convenient to where you are staying, otherwise get on at the station of origin (I think this one starts at Keleti ) and make sure you get in the right carriage as most of the train gets left behind at the border.

I'm not even sure whether Kelenfold has an international ticket office.

Bydgoszcz
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest- Kelenfold to zagreb, compulsory reservation?

I don't know about the morning train, but the afternoon train to Zagreb is often packed, and having a seat reservation is highly recommended! There were backpackers standing/sitting in the corridor when I took it last year.

Hint for other travellers: request a reservation in carriage #427, which is the only carriage with air conditioning (2nd class). Believe it or not, if you book 1st class, there is no a/c!

Regards,

Jeffrey Dobek

Polrail Service

Bydgoszcz, Poland

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,970 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest- Kelenfold to zagreb, compulsory reservation?

It is probably too late for the OP, but:

The morning train starts at Déli station and consists seemingly of whatever carriages they can cobble together. Use the terminus stations if you can, rather than Kelenfold, as you will have more time to find a decent seat and also buy tickets. Kelenfold is just a suburban station that the train passes though quickly.

www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php…

The afternoon one starts at Keleti - www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php… and as mentioned above also has limited accommodation so either make a reservation or get there early!

Don't waste money going first class as there is no discernible difference between the classes.

And bear in mind the a/c issue as summer can be unbearably hot in that part of the world. Looking at the scheduled composition I think it is supposed to have a/c, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they will put functioning equipment on ...

Edited: 19 May 2014, 12:33
4. Re: Budapest- Kelenfold to zagreb, compulsory reservation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 07:23