We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trenitalia website refusing payment

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
11 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Trenitalia website refusing payment

I've spent a frustrating couple of days repeatedly trying to book tickets online for a return journey Caserta to Lecce in September. I get through the system fine, selecting the trains, fares and seats that I want, then click to select credit card payment, then 'continue', and immediately get redirected to the first page, 'search for times and fares'. It's like Groundhog day. I've tried about five times already with the same result. I sent an email to Trenitalia (in Italian) and had a reply which probably wouldn't make much sense even if it was in English.

Searching for the same journey on the Rail Europe site, the return (first class) fare is £240 sterling compared to €200 euro. Aargh!

The last time I looked one of the fares showed 'limited availability' so I want to get in quick.

Anyone had a similar experience/ know how to overcome it?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,646 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trenitalia website refusing payment

Try using www.italiarail.com which has much the same prices as Trenitalia plus a small booking fee. The booking fee will be refunded if you send an e-mail with your booking reference to tripadvisor AT italiarail.com

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
11 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trenitalia website refusing payment

Thanks for that suggestion. Actually I wondered if the problem was that I had registered with Trenitalia when I was in Italy a couple of years ago, and my computer still had cookies which prevented me using the site from the UK. Only a theory, but I used my wife's computer (and credit card... with her permission!) to book the tickets and this time it worked fine. I read somewhere that Trenitalia don't let you be a 'registered' user (though you can still book without registering) if you live outside Italy.

3. Re: Trenitalia website refusing payment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 06:16