We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence to Riomaggiore via Pisa, & Riomaggiore to Milan

Perth
9 posts
Save Topic
Florence to Riomaggiore via Pisa, & Riomaggiore to Milan

Hi

Can you please advise if it is possible to get a train from Florence to Riomaggiore & stop for a few hours in Pisa on our way to Riomaggiore? If so, would we be able to break the journey on our ticket, or would we have to buy a ticket Florence to Pisa, then Pisa to Riomaggiore? We will be travelling mid August, & I cannot get the Trenitalia site to show the train times for our dates. I have read elsewhere on TA that the timetables change sometime in June, so I'm hoping that's the reason! After our stay in Riomaggiore we want to take the train to Milan. Any advice or tips will be much appreciated. Thank you

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,190 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence to Riomaggiore via Pisa, & Riomaggiore to Milan

Regional trains (the only ones running between Florence and Pisa, and calling at Riomaggior), are not yet online for dates past June 14. Times will be the same or similar later, and to see fares for these trains you must use a date this week.

A Regional ticket bought in Italy for Firenze S. M .Novella to Riomaggiore is OK on any trains in one direction on the route for 60 days. it must be validated (time/date-stamped) before boarding the first train, after which you must be on board the last train you are using within six hours of the validation time. So yes, you could use one ticket and break your journey. If you don't want to be looking at your watches, spend a tiny bit more and buy two tickets.

There are also Frecciabianca and Intercity trains between Pisa Centrale and la Spezia Centrale. Regional tickets are not valid on these.

The Trenitalia website will show August times of direct trains from Monterosso to Milano Centrale which can be booked now at reduced prices. Buy now, and buy the connecting Regional train in Italy. Regional trains have no advance reductions and no reserved seats so cannot sell out.

Just occasionally, it is faster to backtrack to la Spezia and take the same direct Milan train from there.

Edited: 20 May 2014, 17:09
Perth
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence to Riomaggiore via Pisa, & Riomaggiore to Milan

Thank you perilizia, for this advice. That's a good idea to buy 2 tickets, Florence to Pisa, then Pisa to Riomaggiore, much better than worrying about how much time we spend in Pisa. Also, I hadn't understood that the Regional trains did not have a reduced price for advance purchase, so I will just buy the Monterosso to Milan tickets now & the others when we get there. Thanks again

3. Re: Florence to Riomaggiore via Pisa, & Riomaggiore to Milan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 May 2014, 22:13
4. Re: Florence to Riomaggiore via Pisa, & Riomaggiore to Milan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2015, 06:18