We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Germany: BahnCard 25 - Student Discount

Boston...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Germany: BahnCard 25 - Student Discount

Hello!

I will be studying in Germany this fall. I would like to get the discounted student <27 BahnCard 25, but I'm having difficulty. First, the website won't let me get to the website to order without an address in Germany (though it will let me buy the full price one!). Second, I cannot find information regarding if you must show proof of being a student or of being a student in Germany. Does anyone know about this? I don't want to say I'm a student and not actually qualify! Finally, I saw some mentions online of retroactively getting the student discount – is this possible? If so, how does this work and what is the time limit for this?

It is starting to seem worth the difference in price to get the full price card rather than spend so much time on this! (Plus, immediate booking!)

Thanks in advance!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,201 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Germany: BahnCard 25 - Student Discount

You can't buy a discounted BahnCard online. You'll have to show your student ID card when buying it.

You can however buy tickets with BahnCard discount beforehand. You only will need a BahnCard when travelling on such a ticket, not when buying it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Germany: BahnCard 25 - Student Discount

Oh, I didn't realize that, since it gives me the option to buy online and send them proof online or by mailing it to them and others said that's what they did.

Thanks for that information!

So can I buy the regular priced card and retroactively get the discount? Since I'm going to take a train about a day after arriving in Germany, I want to be sure it has time to process!

Edited: 22 May 2014, 12:10
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,201 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Germany: BahnCard 25 - Student Discount

> Oh, I didn't realize that, since it gives me the option to buy online and send them proof online or by mailing it to them and others said that's what they did.

There are 2 methods of buying online. To book online and self print the preliminary BahnCard or to order a BahnCard. Only with the latter - at least in the German version - you can mail them your proof of student status. But as they will sent the card to your home address this method has its risks. If it does not arrive at all or not in time you have a problem.

> I want to be sure it has time to process!

You'll get an preliminary BahnCard on spot. But you should know your address in Germany at this time. As they will sent the real BahnCard (the preliminary paper version is only valid 6 or 8 weeks) to the address you give them.

> So can I buy the regular priced card and retroactively get the discount?

You can still buy the reduced priced BahnCard. Proof of immatriculation at a university plus passport will do. ISIC cards are not accepted.

And this is not a retroactively discount. If you buy a ticket with BahnCard discount in advance for 2nd September and buy your BahnCard on 2nd September valid from this day on, this is sufficient. It is only important to have when checked on board a valid ticket and a valid BahnCard for the 2nd September (and for this train).

Edited: 23 May 2014, 00:30
4. Re: Germany: BahnCard 25 - Student Discount

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2015, 05:16