We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to split journey from Bayeux?

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
939 posts
232 reviews
Save Topic
Where to split journey from Bayeux?

Over the last few weeks, I've had to change my plans for a multi-country train trip in Europe, and right now I'm working on a plan just to do France for about 10 days.

So at the moment, the plan is do things and get to Bayeux last. I'm going to have the bones of 2 days there, then my plan is train back to Paris, Eurostar to London and airplane home. Bit round-the-houses but I want to try the Eurostar. This plan seems just about feasible in a day, early train from Bayeux, cross to Gare du Nord, catch afternoon Eurostar, tube from St Pancras to LHR and get on my flight. But I'm not interested in a mad dash, so I'm going to do it over 2 days and take my time. I just can't decide where to break up the journey.

1. Afternoon train from Bayeux, Paris hotel near Gare du Nord (I've already had a time in Paris before leaving for Bayeux). Next day, Eurostar, Heathrow, airplane.

2. Morning train, afternoon Eurostar, London hotel either in the city or out by the airport. Next day, Heathrow and home.

I've searched around and the Eurostar seems to be on time most of the time, but I can't find any stats about Bayeux-Paris and what the risks might be of missing my Eurostar. Or maybe there's some other option when I get back to Paris that gets me closer to London. I see on the Eurostar map, we go through Lille -- can I stop over there overnight without paying (a lot) more? Brusells?

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,074 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to split journey from Bayeux?

Don't take a chance on possibly missing your flight. Head for London the day before your flight home and spend the night there. If you need something to while away the time, take in a show in the West End theater district.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,604 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to split journey from Bayeux?

Eurostar runs to 95% on time or within 15 minutes. French trains typically 90% on time or within 10-15 minutes.

But does knowing that really help, as you don't want to play Russian roulette with flights? So as vegas-guide says, travel the day before.

If you buy a Bayeux-London through ticket at www.loco2.com or www.eurostar.com you're covered if one train runs late, you'll simply be rebooked on a later Eurostar.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
939 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to split journey from Bayeux?

Thanks, Seat61. Unfortunately, unless I'm doing something wrong, Bayeux doesn't show up as a station on eurostar.com. I can get Bayeux-Paris-London on capitainetrain.com, and it seems slightly cheaper than buying 2 separate tickets, although I can't then travel normal (2nd) class Bayeux-Paris and upgrade to Std Premier as planned for Paris-London. Same with loco2.com (and I seem to remember having problems with loco2.com when I was originally looking into this trip, maybe being a non-UK resident prohibits it?)

And thanks both, I think you're right: split the journey in London, an evening in London is never a chore.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,333 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to split journey from Bayeux?

You can book from Caen on the Eurostar website, and simply buy a ticket locally for Bayeux-Caen and board the same train.

Though probably no advantage over your other methods.

5. Re: Where to split journey from Bayeux?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2015, 05:16