We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying train tickets online to and from Ljubljana, Slovenia

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Buying train tickets online to and from Ljubljana, Slovenia

Hello...

I'm planning my Euro trip and it seems one can't buy train tickets to and from Slovenia at all?? Can't buy online in advance that is? I've tried looking through the forums, seat61, raildude and all but I just get more confused! :s

I'm planning to travel from Munich - Innsbruck (heard that's one of the must see train routes) then from Innsbruck to Ljubljana.

OBB shows that there is a EuroNight train direct from Innsbruck --> Ljubljana (00.56 - 08.11) but I can't book it online.

Even if I do travel from Munich -- Ljubljana, I still can't buy that online too on DB??

After Ljubljana, I plan to go to Wien to catch my flight to London. The Slovenian train site shows there are direct trains from Ljubljana to Wien but again, i can't buy it on the OBB site?

slo-zeleznice.si/en/…austria

It shows me the night train (23.55 - 07.34) but seems like I can only book the connecting flight from Salzburg to Wien.

Help??? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,013 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying train tickets online to and from Ljubljana, Slovenia

>>OBB shows that there is a EuroNight train direct from Innsbruck --> Ljubljana (00.56 - 08.11) but I can't book it online<<

Do you need the night train? There are day trains at 08:24 and 12:24, the former needs 2 train changes, the latter only one change in Schwarzach-St.Veit, both bookable with www.oebb.at, price € 70.40, ticket must be collected from a ticket machine in Austria

There is even a cheaper train using Railjet, via Villach at 14:20, and costs only € 29. I think you must have done something wrong with your query.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying train tickets online to and from Ljubljana, Slovenia

Munich-Ljubljana can easily be booked online from 39 euros at www.bahn.de/en on the 08.18 or 12:18 or 14:18.

You can book from Innsbruck to Ljubljana at similar prices at www.oebb.at

Print-at-home tickets in both cases.

Are you looking too far ahead, beyond 92 days? Or too near, as like cheap air fares you won't see them if you look for a departure tomorrow?

Edited: 26 May 2014, 02:32
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying train tickets online to and from Ljubljana, Slovenia

Hi, thanks for your replies! :) :)

@hadiwi56a, yes I would prefer the night train at 00:56 because it's direct and I'm on a tight schedule, but it seems to be the only one that can't be bought online.

@Man_in_Seat_61: I'm looking at end July! I wanted to book the overnight train but it says it can't be booked online. Only the bus can be booked for 19euros.

My plan was to go from Munich, spend a day in Innsbruck (without booking accom as I'm on a budget) and travel on to Ljubljana at night. It seems like only the day trains can be booked online??

I'm not inflexible! I may have to change my schedule like that :/

4. Re: Buying train tickets online to and from Ljubljana, Slovenia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 05:16