We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indian Pacific

Gold Coast...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Indian Pacific

I'm looking at taking the Indian Pacific to transport my car from Sydney to Perth. I'd love to hear from anyone who has done this trip in the Red Service Day/Nighter seats. Are they comfortable enough to sleep in? I can sleep on planes easily enough but if I had to do it for three days I'd want something a bit more comfortable! How long do you get at the stops to get off the train and move around for? I'd be taking my laptop to kill some time so also wondering about being able to charge electronics on the train.. Any answers much appreciated!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,222 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indian Pacific

G'day Rachel,

I'll answer all your questions first, then give you some thoughts at the end.

>>>Are they comfortable enough to sleep in?<<<

It's subjective and it depends on the person. The other passengers you have in the carriage is going to have a huge impact on your journey. (Snoring, noise, hygiene)

>>>I can sleep on planes easily enough but if I had to do it for three days I'd want something a bit more comfortable!<<<

Nothing like plane seats, not even economy class.

>>>How long do you get at the stops to get off the train and move around for?<<<

Between Sydney and Perth, you only have Broken Hill, Adelaide, Cook, and Kalgoorlie as stops where passengers can get off. The duration varies depending on whether the train is running on time. Adelaide and Kalgoorlie are usually the longest stops.

>>>I'd be taking my laptop to kill some time so also wondering about being able to charge electronics on the train<<<

Yes there's places in the carriage and diner to recharge, but availability depends on others using it also.

My thoughts?

I've been across and back more times than I can count, and all I can say is that unless you *really* want to do it for the experience, it's not worth it. With discounted airfare available, it'll work out cheaper than the lowest concession fare on Red Day/Nighter. Depending on when you travel, Red Service is like a zoo.

Also, Motorail can be unaccompanied - so you don't have to travel with your car. Even with transporting your car, have you done some research? There are companies such as PrixCar that offer vehicle transport - in fully enclosed trucks - which can be cheaper and offer more protection for you car. The only difference is the service takes longer, as it waits for transport orders to come in (usually like ten days delivery).

If you do decide to proceed with the journey, let me know and I'll try and give you 'survival' tips.

Edited: 11 June 2014, 17:08
2. Re: Indian Pacific

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 06:16