We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is East Midland Rail the filthiest rail service in Europe

Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Topic
Is East Midland Rail the filthiest rail service in Europe

I travelled on an East Midland train from Nottingham to Liverpool this week and it was the dirtiest train I have ever been on!

It clearly had not be cleaned in months, soiled seats and mould on the seat trays, disgusting. To add to it all, this was an expensive trip at GBP50 one way!!!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,462 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is East Midland Rail the filthiest rail service in Europe

Cross Country is pretty grim as well

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is East Midland Rail the filthiest rail service in Europe

Try parts of France! Graffiti and vandalism are everywhere once you get away from the shiny TGV's.

Here in Portugal the trains are clean inside but filthy outside, also again often covered in graffiti. Many of the small stations are literally in ruins.

I hope you raised a complaint, with photographic evidence. Name and shame.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,098 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is East Midland Rail the filthiest rail service in Europe

I you don't like dirt, rubbish all over the carriages, tatty seats, dirty windows or stained tables then you don't want to go on a Northern Rail train.

I have to use them every day! :-/

East Midlands trains, which I occasionally use to to from Liverpool to Manchester (although I actually prefer the First Trans Pennine services) are paradise compared to Northern Fail!

Edited: 03 July 2014, 23:05
Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is East Midland Rail the filthiest rail service in Europe

Used Northern Rail between Manchester and Bradford a few weeks ago - that train was absolutely horrible.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,098 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is East Midland Rail the filthiest rail service in Europe

Michaela_2404 - when is the UK zone of Miniatur Wunderland opening?

Or was it put on the scrapheap years ago like Northern Rail? ;-D

By the way, I LOVE Miniatur Wunderland and have been twice in the past 2 years (last visit was in May of this year). Now my dad wants to go. We were watching the DVD just last night. ;-)

Edited: 05 July 2014, 01:50
6. Re: Is East Midland Rail the filthiest rail service in Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2015, 05:17