We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak Checked Baggage

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak Checked Baggage

I am checking my bags thru to CHI on the Cap Limited. I want to recheck my bags on my Hiawatha connector train. Only problem is we are booked on the 10:20 Hiawatha and cant change it because they just book you thru on the next train out of CHI(since the HIA is unreserved you dont have to change, take any train that day). Anyway, we want to catch the 1:05 but didnt know if we could recheck immediately because they might think the bags go on the first train.. Long story short we want to check our bags on the later train without having to drop them at metropolitan club.

Washington State
Level Contributor
713 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak Checked Baggage

You can check your bags through to MKE from your point of origin, there is no need to claim and recheck them in Chicago. Your bags will most likely go on the earlier train, but that really is not a problem. All baggage is held securely in locked rooms and Amtrak personnel verify luggage tags against your claim checks before releasing them, unlike the airlines. So check your bags through, don't worry about them, and pick them up in MKE regardless of what train you arrive on, they'll be waiting for you if you take a later train.

Edited: 11 July 2014, 01:48
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,823 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak Checked Baggage

You have three choices

Leave your bags in the Metropolitan Lounge for free

Leave your bags with the Red Cap which means a $5 base tip plus $2 per bag.

Leave your bags in a storage locker behind the baggage carousel. Small locker for $4. for 2 hours, $5. for a large locker for 2 hours.

The Hiawathas have checked baggage between Chicago and Milwaukee so be sure that your luggage gets put off in Chicago so just check your bags straight through to Milwaukee and be done with it. It will be there waiting for you whichever later train you catch.

Edited: 11 July 2014, 01:56
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,823 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak Checked Baggage

Wow, that didn't make sense.

I was trying to suggest that you don't check your bags to Chicago but straight through to Milwaukee.

4. Re: Amtrak Checked Baggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 04:16