We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shenzhen fast train to Canton Tower (Guangzhou)

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
72 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Shenzhen fast train to Canton Tower (Guangzhou)

1. Read somewhere that the fast train to and fro (Shenzhen - Guangzhou) runs through the night.

But looking at an online schedule, the last fast train (Initial G) is about midnight. Do the fast trains run through the night?

2. Are the tickets difficult to get i.e. does one need to book online? Are they about 50-60 Yuan?

3. If one is at the Shenzhen Airport, which train stations (Shenzhen and Guangzhou) should board and disembark?

Thanks!

Edited: 13 July 2014, 10:55
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,528 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shenzhen fast train to Canton Tower (Guangzhou)

1. Not so. Last train (according to the timetable I am looking at) from Shenzhen is at 2300, from Guangzhou at 2256.

2. The same source suggests that all train travel in China should be reserved in advance. Reservations for G trains may be available only a week -10 days in advance. Identity documents must be produced when buying tickets at stations.

3. That I am afraid I do not know!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,273 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shenzhen fast train to Canton Tower (Guangzhou)

1- No, fast train are daytime trains. The last train from Shenzhen is at 23h22.

2- Second class tickets are 74.5RMB and go on sale 20 days ahead, not 10. Checking ticket availability for tomorrow, about half the trains are sold out. So if you wait, you will get tickets but maybe not on the train that you like best.

3- G trains depart from Shenzhen north. You can get there from the airport by subway.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
72 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shenzhen fast train to Canton Tower (Guangzhou)

Thanks everyone! Appreciate it...

For you who have been to Canton Tower, what would be the one choice of activity to do there? Why?

Have a great week!

Shantou, China
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shenzhen fast train to Canton Tower (Guangzhou)

Hi, Going up to canton tower is for overlooking the city. There are not too much to see inside.

You can try sky wheel and mega drop at the top of tower. It is quite an experience.

There is revolving restaurant at 106F, costs more than 500RMB for dinner. Of course the view is very nice.

Zoe

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
72 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shenzhen fast train to Canton Tower (Guangzhou)

Thanks! Sky wheel seems to be a favourite... featured in an amazing race episode too... logically, the crowd would be greater on a weekend than on a Monday. ?... Just to confirm :)

Shantou, China
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shenzhen fast train to Canton Tower (Guangzhou)

There are more people on Tower on weekend. If you dont like to be in crowd, try to go to the tower on Monday.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
72 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shenzhen fast train to Canton Tower (Guangzhou)

Appreciate the input.... what would you take if you want to get from Canton Tower to the Guangzhou South Station to catch the bullet train back to Shenzhen? Is there a subway? Or better to take a cab? Or is the public bus system efficient?

Many thanks :) !

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,273 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shenzhen fast train to Canton Tower (Guangzhou)

You should ask your questions in the China forum or Guangzhou forum.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
72 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shenzhen fast train to Canton Tower (Guangzhou)

Thanks for taking the time to provide the piece of advice. Appreciate it.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
79 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shenzhen fast train to Canton Tower (Guangzhou)

If your main purpose is to try the so- called high speed train, that is fine. However, to travel between Shenzhen and Guangzhou, avoid the high speed option. These two places are only less than 150 km apart, and the high speed railway stations, as typically true for all such stations in China, are located in remote areas. You are likely to spend more time travelling to the stations than staying on the train. The queue at ticket office is usually longer and worst of all, you are not allowed to board an earlier train even if the train is empty. I tried this high-speed option twice and swore to myself that I will never do it again. Use the not so fast and relatively old railway. It is also quite fast, has more frequent services, take you to the city centre and most important of all, allow you to board any that leaves the moment you arrive at the station.