We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I buy an interrail pass for my 4 journeys?

Scotland
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Should I buy an interrail pass for my 4 journeys?

Hi there, I am going to be travelling from Italy to France to Spain next month and will be doing the following journeys:

Florence to nice (via Genova)

Nice to Perpignan

Perpignan to Barcelona

I have looked at the approx prices online and it has come to roughly £130 but the interrail global pass comes to £145, is it better to have the pass??

I've heard that you have to pay extra fees on some journeys even with the pass, which makes me wary.

Also, I know the exact dates I'm travelling on and would definitely want to book the tickets in advance, is this possible for these journeys? And does anyone have an good links to sites where I can do this?

Thanks everyone!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,746 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I buy an interrail pass for my 4 journeys?

>>> I've heard that you have to pay extra fees on some journeys even with the pass, which makes me wary <<<

You do indeed.

>>> Also, I know the exact dates I'm travelling on and would definitely want to book the tickets in advance, is this possible for these journeys? <<<

Not only is it possible, it is almost essential if you want to be sure of boarding a long-distance train in Southern Europe in August.

Florence SMN (Firenze SMN or Santa Maria Novella) to Ventimiglia can be booked at either of these websites: www.italiarail.com (easy to use, recognises English place name) or Italian Railways own website www.trenitalia.com (sometimes more fiddly to use, requires Italian language place names, no booking fee). Look for a cheap super-economy or economy fare. It's ticketless, you just quote your booking reference on board the train. You can't book Ventimiglia to Nice as it is a local French train, simply buy a ticket at Ventimiglia for a few euros.

Nice-Perpignan and Perpignan-Barcelona can be booked at at either www.loco2.com or www.capitainetrain.com and you can choose to print your own tickets or collect at the Station.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,213 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I buy an interrail pass for my 4 journeys?

You will need to pay reservation fees for each of your journeys if you take the fastest possible trains.

For example, from Florence to Nice, taking the 07.39 Frecciabianca from Firenze Campo di Marte to Genova Piazza Principe then an Intercity to Ventimiglia will cost €13 in reservations and take 5.5 hours. To reach Ventimiglia entirely by Regional trains which do not require reservations will take more than eight hours.

To buy a point to point ticket in advance, book on www.trenitalia.com clicking the UK flag first for English and entering your 'hour' of departure, e.g. enter '7' for 07.00. Booking starts 120 days in advance at the price of only €18. Note that the 7.39 is the only departure from Firenze Campo di Marte and is both the fastest and the cheapest to buy in advance - the remaining departures leave from Firenze S.M. Novella.

No reservation is required for the half-hourly TER trains from Ventimiglia to Nice, and there is no point in advance purchase as these trains have no advance reductions. The cost is €7.50 - buy in Florence or Ventimiglia, from ticket offices not machines as these are French trains.

To find the cost of other possible reservations, visit http://uk.voyages-sncf.com/en/ and click Passes then Reservations. To travel without reservations between Perpignan and Barcelona, you would have to travel in a TER train on the old coastal line to Port Bou and change to a Spanish local train there. The same website will give you point-to-point ticket prices for TGVs on the new high speed route.

Scotland
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I buy an interrail pass for my 4 journeys?

Wow, thanks very much for the info everyone, it's much appreciated!

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get the train from Florence to Genoa, and then get the bus from Genoa to Nice. The bus is only €19 and it seems to be the fastest way of getting there. If anyone has any thoughts on that...?

Thanks!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,213 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I buy an interrail pass for my 4 journeys?

The bus doesn't go to Nice. It goes to Nice Airport, from which the airport bus costs €6 to get back into Nice.

This makes the cheap advance bus fare really €25, when the advance train fare is €9+€7.50=€16.50. It also means the bus is slower than the train, or at least, it's slower than all the options which use an Intercity train from Genoa to Ventimiglia.

There is a cheaper bus (€1.50) into Nice from the airport (the 23) but it's very much slower.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I buy an interrail pass for my 4 journeys?

It's a nice train ride with bits of coastline between Genoa and Nice - buy a cheap ticket from Genoa to Ventimiglia at www.trenitalia.com from €9, then buy a €7 local ticket to Nice at ventimglia station, then you can go by train and won't have to endure a bus! ;0)

6. Re: Should I buy an interrail pass for my 4 journeys?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2015, 05:17