We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer with grandchildren

1 post
Save Topic
First timer with grandchildren

I am traveling with my 3 and 5 year grandchildren, my 2 questions are:

1) will they seat us together since I purchased 2 of the tickets as children, or should I follow the ask the conductor advice above

2) are there outlets available by coach seats for the kids to watch a movie on a laptop

This is my first train trip as well as my grandkids (Houston-Palm Springs). My 5 year old grandson got a o-gauge train for Christmas (polar express - I hope he is not disappointed lol) - he is fired up! Any suggestions for the kids entertainment?

Washington State
Level Contributor
743 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer with grandchildren

They will make every effort to keep families together. If there are not sufficient open seats together, ask the car attendant or the conductor. Remember, the seating is 2 + 2, if 3 are traveling so someone is going to be across the aisle or a row behind/ahead.

They have retrofitted pretty much all coaches so all rows have outlets now.

Bring lots of books and games.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,996 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer with grandchildren

Assuming that you are traveling chaircar, talk to the conductor at the Houston station when you check in 1 hour before train time. Since it is an overnight trip they will do everything in their power to make sure that you are seated together. However, all seats face forward and are 2 across. Three seats mean that you will be in different rows or across the aisle from each other. If you want to have your own space and privacy get a bedroom. The Family room may work for you. The deluxe bedroom may work if the kids can share a double sized bed and you can handle the bunk bed.

Any toy that makes noise has to be on headphones if you're in the Chaircar. No noise allowed. You don't have to use earphones in a private accommodation.

Edited: 30 July 2014, 00:38
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer with grandchildren

I wanted to tell u about my friend's story his grandfather maked every effort to keep families together. If there were not sufficient open seats together, asked the car attendant or the conductor. Remember, the seating was 2 + 2, if 3 were traveling so someone is going to be across the aisle or a row behind/ahead.

4. Re: First timer with grandchildren

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2015, 06:15