We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why would anyone recommend Thello overnight train from Paris

Lichfield, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Why would anyone recommend Thello overnight train from Paris

We recently travelled on the Thello- it was a disgrace. The train needs updating, the carriages were filthy with blood on one of the "sterile" pillows. The toilets are disgusting with raw sewage for all to see. On the way out I had my handbag stolen and when reported to the staff on the train they were indifferent- filled out the necessary forms and carried on with their jobs. In the Police Station in Venice the police explained that thefts happen often and described in detail who was probably responsible- why if they know so much aren't they trying to catch the thieves? There are no warnings about thefts on the trains and the staff also failed to alert passengers about the risks. Reading some of the other posts it's time Thello listened to what their customers are saying. We will not be travelling on this train again and hope many others will also boycott this service.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,677 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why would anyone recommend Thello overnight train from Paris

There are dozens of previous posts here on TA warning people against using this train, not for the rather serious reasons you describe, but just for poor service standards.

Theft on overnight trains is not common, but in some countries they have to have security guards on board to make sure people without tickets (ie thieves) do not board at intermediate stops. It wouldn't be good PR to tell passengers who are boarding to lock up valuables etc but the indifference of staff is pretty well unforgiveable.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
17,287 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why would anyone recommend Thello overnight train from Paris

Welcome to TA. What a shame that your first posting has to be a complaint. If you had found TA to help plan your trip you would have read numerous posts that would have sent up red flags before you opted for this service. We can't do anything but empathize with you. Hopefully, now that you have found TA, you will use it to prepare your trips.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
65,383 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why would anyone recommend Thello overnight train from Paris

It's not a service I would use as it has received some poor reviews and comments on here. I concur with the comments made by the above posters.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,153 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why would anyone recommend Thello overnight train from Paris

<< Reading some of the other posts it's time Thello listened to what their customers are saying.>>

Just out of interest did you read those posts before traveling or after?

Australia
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why would anyone recommend Thello overnight train from Paris

I travelled on the overnight Paris to Venice a couple of years ago, and maybe things have declined since then, but I had no problem with the service. Yes, the toilet wasn't the cleanest - but that's pretty common on any kind of transport (consider the movement...).

My husband and I didn't leave our compartment unattended - as all our belongings were in it, and it can't be locked. I wouldn't leave my things unattended anywhere - train, restaurant, bar etc..

It's horrible that your bag was stolen, and must be awful feeling so helpless, especially when the police seem to know who is responsible. How did it happen?

6. Re: Why would anyone recommend Thello overnight train from Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 September 2014, 01:35
Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why would anyone recommend Thello overnight train from Paris

What on earth has this got to do with the Thello overnight train?

2155, repost this in a new thread.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
22,571 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why would anyone recommend Thello overnight train from Paris

>>> We were told that this was the best, lowest priced way to travel through Europe. <<<,

So why are you not putting the person who told you this right?

If 'lowest priced' was a consideration, why did you purchase first class?

Did you do ANY research into this product before you shelled out $2000 for it? A cursory search of 'Eurorail' on TripAdvisor would have brought up several threads which would have told you quite clearly that you should do more research before committing such a sum of money. Pity you only found and signed up to TripAdvisor to complain after the event.

Leeds
Level Contributor
7 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why would anyone recommend Thello overnight train from Paris

We used the Thello from Paris to Milan last night. We were in a 6 berth couchette between 4. I would not recommend the berth for a full six people as it was cramped with four. Our bedding was clean and bottled water was provided. There is no way round it the toilets were appalling and stank of stale urine. The berths themselves were quite hard and I didn't sleep much. The staff were polite and friendly and told us to lock the doors which we did. We had three main issues with Thello which may stop us using them again. Firstly other passengers were very loud and discourteous. It is a sleeper train but during the evening we heard american and australian passengers loudly demanding upgrades from the lady staff member. The australian lady in particular was making a huge fuss and had obviously done no research about sharing couchettes. Unfortunately the soundproofing wasn't up to stopping this noise. Secondly in the middle of the night I woke to find two men trying to jemmy open the cabin door. I lay and watch them whispering between themselves. Once they had opened the door a few inches and I was concerned they would get past the second lock I sat up and shouted at them and they ran off. Given that they'd gotten past the first lock I have no reason to believe they wouldn't have gotten past the second and we would have been short on quite a large amount of euros and no doubt phones etc. Thirdly arriving in Milano Centrale at six in the morning is intimidating. Lots of unsavoury types standing about including men trying to steal change from the ticket machines before passengers could collect it. I sympathise with the original post and ideally would want to see improvements in both security and cleanliness.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
17,287 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why would anyone recommend Thello overnight train from Paris

Another first post to complain. Hijacking the wrong topic, didn't use TA to plan and research. Eurorail has plenty of info on this forum. A lot of it not good.