We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deutsche Bahn connection question

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,048 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Deutsche Bahn connection question

I'm browsing for a trip this winter, and am looking at trains from Strasbourg to Munich. The train I'm looking at (in Oct as I think it's too early for Dec) has one connection in Stuttgart, which is only 8 minutes. However, it also says that the ticket is only valid on the train that I buy the ticket for. I know that under normal circumstances 8 min is probably enough, but I don't know what happens if the 1st train is delayed or canceled.

The ticket says "Europa-Spezial Frankreich" and "This is a linked train route. This means your ticket is only valid for the exact trains printed on your ticket. A limited number of tickets are available for purchase up to one day before date of travel." It does also say "Exchange/refund, EUR 15; Excluded from the 1st day of validity." I'm not sure what to make of that.

I know I could look for trains with longer connections or buy a flexible ticket for more money. I'm just trying to decide if I would need to.

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,484 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deutsche Bahn connection question

The conditions for a 'Europa Spezial' and 'Sparschiene' tickets have always been that they are valid only for the trains you booked for. However, since this is a through ticket from Strasbourg, if the incoming TGV is late, I would think that DBahn would be obliged to put you on the next available connection from Stuttgart.

Other experts in this forum will either confirm this or correct me on this.

The official page is here:

bahn.com/i/…europa-spezial.shtml

The other condition, of course, is that you can only exchange for another similar connection (whilst stocks of the those tickets are available) up to one day before the original date, subject to the €15 exchange fee.

(cannot exchange on the date of travel)

Whilst 8 minutes are doable, I personally would not risk that myself. The timetable for this connection indicates a transfer from Platform 7 to platform 16.

Have a look at the diagram of Stuttgart Hbf here:

bahnhof.de/file/6745348/data/Stuutgart_Hbf_L…

Do another query with a non-standard transfer time (say 15 minutes), and see what connections they offer

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deutsche Bahn connection question

If you miss your connection in Stuttgart you can just simply take the next train.

As far as I know every two hours there is an EC/IC train 45 mins later, the other hour unfortunately the next quick connection is just the next ICE an hour later.

Some people will tell you that you need that delay confirmed on your ticket by the information desk at Stuttgart train station but that is actually not right. It helps though.

If you arrive an hour later later in Munich than originally booked, you are entitled to get 25% of your ticket price refunded.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,048 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deutsche Bahn connection question

Thanks. I've done connections that short in the UK, but I didn't really want to be stranded in Stuttgart or have to pay much higher fees for another train. (I guess I wouldn't actually get stranded.) I assume trains in that part of Europe are prepared for winter weather, so hopefully my train won't freeze like I heard of the Eurostar doing...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,271 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deutsche Bahn connection question

>>hopefully my train won't freeze like I heard of the Eurostar doing<<

That has happened once (over a period of several days) during some of the worst weather experienced in France and England since the 1940s. Freak weather can occur anywhere and affect any form of transport.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,048 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deutsche Bahn connection question

True. I didn't mean to imply it was a frequent event. I don't really know how often trains are affected by weather. I do recall one trip to London over New Years a few years ago when a bunch of trains were cancelled due to snow. Heathrow shut down too, though.

I guess I was more wondering (since we don't really do trains here) if one should allow extra connection time in the winter. I usually do here with air travel as in this part of the country there are more frequent (IME, not based on any actual scientific evidence) delays due to snow, deicing, etc. The Eurostar thing was just the first example of a train weather delay that came to mind.

No offense to Eurostar. ;-)

6. Re: Deutsche Bahn connection question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2015, 05:17