We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ho chi minh city to london by land!

Melbourne, Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
ho chi minh city to london by land!

hello,

I am hoping to go from ho chi minh city back to the UK by land next summer. I haven't managed to find any blogs or advice on the internet about anyone doing this rout, however I'm convinced it must be a popular one. My budget will be modest but hopefully not too modest (3000-4000 if savings go well) and i am happy to rough it and do things on the cheap if it takes longer or is less comfortable to a point, however feeling safe is a priority. I have estimated it taking around 3 months. Im not looking to be surrounded by tourists and would be happy with a mix of cities, culture and nature. But have no idea roughly how much it will cost, how long it will take, if it will be a good experience for a 26 year old female traveler on her own, where to stop, where not to stop, visas for china and Russia or pretty much any key information If anyone can give any advice even if it is only on a section of the trip i would appreciate it.

Here is what I'm thinking so far....

My plan so far is to spend 3 weeks travelling to the north of Vietnam. when i reach Sapa i will get a bus over the boarder to nanning in china. I know i would like to see both the terracotta army and the great wall whilst I'm there (how long should i take to do this and what would the rough budget be?).

then i would like to get the trans siberian railway from Beijing through Mongolia (any suggestions on where to stop there and how much time to spend there would be great).

after that i will enter Russia. i would only want to stop maybe 2 times before getting to Moscow (suggestions are very welcome)

when i arrive in moscow is it worth heading to saint petersburg or should i just make a move to Europe?

As for getting through Europe back to the UK I have ideas of some longer and shorter routs so would be happy to see how much i felt like traveling at that point and what my budget looked like.

Looking forward to your responses!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,977 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ho chi minh city to london by land!

http://www.seat61.com/Vietnam.htm#Europe to Vietnam overland

Obviously you can reverse it!

Melbourne, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ho chi minh city to london by land!

Ah thats brilliant! Thank you!

3. Re: ho chi minh city to london by land!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2015, 05:16