We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Honeymoon trip to Italy, France, Spain

San Dimas...
1 post
1 review
Help with Honeymoon trip to Italy, France, Spain

Hey all! Just recently got married

Moved into our new place so we're just barely getting around to planning the honeymoon

We'd like to go for 14 days to Spain and Italy. Since France is inbetween, we'd prob spend a couple days there too.

My wife hasn't been to Europe. I've been to London and France. Didn't think France was so great so I wanna show her it but don't think we need to spend too much time there.

We aren't big sight seeing people. Such as, it's cool to see big historic places and snap a picture but that's it, we want to eat good, see everything quick, do something entertaining and fun, and move on. She wants to see beautiful sites and cities but no meandering about too long at art or museums, I suppose is how I'd put it.

What cities would you recommend? Any travel packages or plans? Best ways to travel? I'm looking up packages right now and they're love 8k to 9k. I remember when I went to London and Europe, I prob spent about 1300-1500 total on flights, hotel stays, and bus/railway total.

So we're looking to not blow a whole lot of money but still have a great experience.

Please post your recommendations or what I should be looking for. Thank you.

8 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
10,060 posts
562 reviews
144 helpful votes
1. Re: Help with Honeymoon trip to Italy, France, Spain

Maybe get a guidebook and do a little reading up on Spain and Italy. They are quite large countries with many, many places worth visiting. If you didn't find France enjoyable, then skip over it; you have little enough time as it is.

If going in summertime, see if Valencia and/or Barcelona in Spain appeal to you or the small towns of the Costa Brava. The Italian Riviera perhaps or the Amalfi Coast? Italy's Dolomite mountains and the lakes in the northern part of the country?

If you are budget travelers, then you will most likely want to travel by train.

Edited: 27 January 2024, 18:59
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
10,060 posts
562 reviews
144 helpful votes
2. Re: Help with Honeymoon trip to Italy, France, Spain

Since the pandemic, everybody and his brother has been wanting to travel. Prices increase with demand, so you will find that airfares, especially in the peak travel months, are a lot higher than you remember. Start by looking at that. If you find you can afford the flights, then you can think about where you want to go. But expect food and lodging to be more expensive than you remember. And, JMHO, if it's your honeymoon, don't make your bride stay in fleabag hotels.

3. Re: Help with Honeymoon trip to Italy, France, Spain

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

What are forum guidelines?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
49,038 posts
26 reviews
96 helpful votes
4. Re: Help with Honeymoon trip to Italy, France, Spain

You can use the popular website The Man in Seat 61 to research Train schedules/routes etc for Europe ...

http://seat61.com

Tripadvisor also has a dedicated Train Travel Forum for specific questions

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_Travel.html

Allen, Texas
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
12,616 posts
171 reviews
151 helpful votes
5. Re: Help with Honeymoon trip to Italy, France, Spain

Daniel — congrats, firstly.

Secondly…

Am honestly a bit lost on what the two of you seek to enjoy in traveling to multiple places. Sounds as if you want to see things vs “have experiences”…? Maybe a misinterpretation on my part, but….?

Not a criticism mind you, but it does (imho) limit the amount of suggestions that may appeal to you.

Best in your travels 🍸.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
120,502 posts
440 reviews
365 helpful votes
6. Re: Help with Honeymoon trip to Italy, France, Spain

In my view, your first step should be to nail down where you want to go and what you want to do. As mentioned, As In and Italy are large counties by European standards and have a lot of variety in their various regions.

I have to agree that if you are not bothered about France you should drop it. While it might be between the other two countries geographically that isn't particularly relevant if you will be flying between Spain and Italy - and I don't think you have time to go overland.

I'm afraid I must also agree that you will find everything will cost more than it used to.

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Help with Honeymoon trip to Italy, France, Spain

In my opinion, the most romantic place in Italy is Lake Como. You won't regret staying there for a couple of days, enjoying the gorgeous views and delicious Italian food. As a woman, I can assure you that your wife will be delighted)

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
120,502 posts
440 reviews
365 helpful votes
8. Re: Help with Honeymoon trip to Italy, France, Spain

I have to agree with you, Julia I fell in love with Lake Como in 1983. When I met my wife I took her there for her birthday and she loved it as well. I wish we'd gone there for our honeymoon too...

Reply to: Help with Honeymoon trip to Italy, France, Spain
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.