We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Take 2 - Honeymoon in Germany and Amsterdam Help

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Take 2 - Honeymoon in Germany and Amsterdam Help

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are planning a 3-week honeymoon in Germany, with a brief stop in Amsterdam. We will be travelling in August, 2024. We are looking for feedback on our itinerary. We are planning to travel primarily by train, but we are considering renting a car to do part of the Romantic Road (but open to suggestions on this idea). We are 28 and 30, Canadian, and are interested in wine, fine dining, coffee, scenic landscapes, museums, short hikes and smaller towns and villages. We like our travel to be a mix of leisurely days where we spend the day walking around and finding cool places to grab a glass of wine, and fast-paced days where we are doing touristy things. I have been to Munich, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Amsterdam and Berlin, and while I am happy to go back, I am also open to alternatives. My husband has been to none of these cities. We must end our trip in Berlin, as my husband is running the half marathon on August 25th.

While we are open to any feedback, we are specifically wondering about the following questions:

Is 5 nights too many in Munich?

Should we do the Romantic Road by car or just pick a couple towns and do it by train?

Is 2 nights too many in Rothenburg?

Any other suggested stops that we have missed? Anything you would skip or spend more time on?

Tentative Itinerary

Flying from Canada and landing in Munich on August 7thMunich (5 nights)

Rent a car in Munich to do Romantic Road

Drive to and spend a half day in Dinkelsbuhl (do we need an overnight?)

Drive to Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Rothenburg (2 nights)

Drive to Wurzburg and return car in Wurzburg

Wurzburg (2 nights)

Train from Wurzburg to Mainz (3 hours)

Mainz (3 nights) with wine tour of the Rhine

Train from Mainz to Amsterdam (5 hours)

Amsterdam (5 nights) with day trip to Volendam or Giethoorn

Train from Amsterdam to Berlin (6 hours)

Berlin (5 nights)

Departing from Berlin on August 28th

7 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
49,038 posts
26 reviews
96 helpful votes
1. Re: Take 2 - Honeymoon in Germany and Amsterdam Help

Hi again Taylor

For travel /itinerary planning regarding specific Destinations, the most knowledgeable members volunteer feedback directly in their own " Destination" Forums...

The Honeymoons Forum is not a " Destination specific Forum, but a theme forum created to give soon to be Honeymooners some general ideas on where they might honeymoon.

Please see the "Top Questions" section, right hand side of the screen in the Full Tripadvisor site for how to use this Forum

Your Destination itinerary help/feedback is relrvant to the dedicated Germany Forum and Netherlands Forum, where local members/Experts give that sort of advice every day

Same idea as when you previously posted on the Destination Forums for Germany a couple of years ago

Edited: 06 March 2024, 04:53
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
49,038 posts
26 reviews
96 helpful votes
2. Re: Take 2 - Honeymoon in Germany and Amsterdam Help

Direct links for you

Tripadvisor dedicated Germany Destination Forum -

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g187275-i116-Germany.html

Tripadvisor dedicated Netherlands Destination Forum -

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g188553-i58-The_Netherlands.html

For Continuity your other current post on this Forum and all replies

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i12522-k14651325-Honeymoon_in_Northern_Europe_and_Scandinavia_Itinerary_Help-Honeymoons_and_Romance.html

Happy planning

Edited: 06 March 2024, 05:01
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
10,060 posts
562 reviews
144 helpful votes
3. Re: Take 2 - Honeymoon in Germany and Amsterdam Help

5 nights might be too much in Munich unless you enjoy museums, palaces and churches. Be sure to visit the Residenz, though. That's what they call their vast royal palace; we especially enjoyed the Treasury where the collection of jewels from several centuries are exhibited. There's a science museum in Munich that's also excellent.

2 nights in Rothenberg isn't too much. I think we spent 3 nights.

You should make a day trip to Potsdam from Berlin to see Frederick the Great's Palace and gardens . There's also the palace where the WW II Potsdam conference took place.

https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/532/

No interest in Dresden?

Edited: 06 March 2024, 11:46
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
4. Re: Take 2 - Honeymoon in Germany and Amsterdam Help

Thanks very much. My apologies for the mistake.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
49,038 posts
26 reviews
96 helpful votes
5. Re: Take 2 - Honeymoon in Germany and Amsterdam Help

Taylor...

No worries and no need to apologize, though l thank you just the same

Its basically a matter of asking the right question in the right place.

Tripadvisor created their " Destination" Forums expressly to give members help from other members who know what theyre talking about- ie ( mostly) the Locals, or those theyve designated as Destination Experts

I see your new threads on the Germany and Amsterdam Forums have many many very detailed replies... so good news!

Hope your honeymoon turns out just as you want 👌

6. Re: Take 2 - Honeymoon in Germany and Amsterdam Help

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

What are forum guidelines?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
49,038 posts
26 reviews
96 helpful votes
7. Re: Take 2 - Honeymoon in Germany and Amsterdam Help

Malcom F

Stop SPAMMING multi Forums with your advertising that COMMERCIAL URL for " travel.007 "

ALL your SPAM is reported

Reply to: Take 2 - Honeymoon in Germany and Amsterdam Help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.