We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accessible/Wheelchair-Friendly Beachy Winter Honeymoon Searc

1 post
Accessible/Wheelchair-Friendly Beachy Winter Honeymoon Searc

I have been driving myself crazy googling and comparing! My husband and I would love to go somewhere beachy and warm, most likely between November and February. I am an ambulatory wheelchair user and my husband has some mad fatigue so we are are not looking for extreme adventures- we like to spend a lot of time swimming and relaxing on the beach, adventuring in the car and checking out parks/scenery and cafés or restaurants, beaches or canyons in Kauai!, talking to people- we loooove eating out and want to budget a good chunk for that. I always seem to feel a little better a sea level.

We have about a 9k honeymoon fund and have enough credit card and Miles to cover us both to fly to Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Mexico, but only one of us for France. we were lucky to go to Kauai last July and absolutely loved it. Our thoughts so far, any ideas welcome!

Hawaii – would love to go back here to any island, just so much more expensive than everywhere else!

Puerto Rico – looks beautiful and fun, and would love to visit one of the smaller islands too. We don’t speak any Spanish, which is a downside.

Mexico – huge country, but have had friends recommend Tulum or playa Del Carmo, or the Riviera! Haven’t been able to research as much about accessibility as I’d like to. Again, no Spanish.

Southern France – we would pivot the trip to late summer if we went here! Would be so fun to practice my French and see the France, and maybe go to Corsica as well. A little worried about accessibility, but my wheelchair can be taken apart pretty quickly and I can walk a few steps.

Costa Rica or Belieze- have a done a little research and a bit worried about accessibility

Open to anywhere else! Beaches in California/Texas/Florida, or Michigan lakes in the summer!

A bit all over the map (no pun intended), thanks for reading ☺️🙏

5 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
10,060 posts
562 reviews
144 helpful votes
1. Re: Accessible/Wheelchair-Friendly Beachy Winter Honeymoon Searc

Hello Mad J

I'd like to be of help here. I'm having some difficulty visualizing this. Could you please explain a little? Do you require a boardwalk or pavement to access the beach? Do you take your wheelchair onto a sand beach? Or are you content to use a swimming pool with a beach view?

Also, are you aware that there's a Forum for "Traveling With Disabilities"? You might also post your question there so more people see it.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12336-Traveling_With_Disabilities.html

Finally, there have been some significant crime issues with Tulum and Riviera Maya in the last couple years, drug gang shootouts where tourist have become collateral damage. If visiting there, I would choose an all-inclusive resort and I would stay on the premises rather than going off-site. There are, of course, numerous other Mexico destinations to consider for a beach vacation, e.g. Puerto Vallarta and the nearby Riviera Nayarit.

You can read up on the safety of locations all over the world by using the U.S. State Department's travel site. Even if you are not a U.S. citizen, it's useful.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel.html

Or, if you are a citizen of a different country, perhaps your Foreign Office has a similar resource.

There are also destination forums for Puerto Rico and lots of Mexican resort ares where you can ask detailed questions to be answered by the Destination Experts and others who are familiar with the area.

Edited: 29 March 2024, 11:55
Allen, Texas
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
12,616 posts
171 reviews
151 helpful votes
2. Re: Accessible/Wheelchair-Friendly Beachy Winter Honeymoon Searc

Agree w CV — more info would be helpful.

That said…

There are areas in Greece and Spain that have put effort into better beach accessibility. Might search that vs beach wheelchair rentals as a start.

Not sure if you have actually used a beach wheelchair before, but if planning to actually enter the water, please note that getting back into one that has floaty tires can be extremely challenging (physically) for the support person of the person getting into it! May very well take one/two addl persons to assist. (From experience.)

3. Re: Accessible/Wheelchair-Friendly Beachy Winter Honeymoon Searc

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum guideline with regards to copyright infringement.

What are forum guidelines?

4. Re: Accessible/Wheelchair-Friendly Beachy Winter Honeymoon Searc

Tripadvisor staff has removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum guidelines with regards to off-topic chat.

5. Re: Accessible/Wheelchair-Friendly Beachy Winter Honeymoon Searc

Tripadvisor staff has removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum guidelines with regards to off-topic chat.

Reply to: Accessible/Wheelchair-Friendly Beachy Winter Honeymoon Searc
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.