We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too Many Places to Choose From

Idaho
8 posts
Too Many Places to Choose From

My husband and I are finally taking our "honeymoon" after five years of marriage and are struggling to decide where to go. We have the budget figured out and all these places fit in it with accommodations and activities budget. This will be 8-9 nights.

We are torn between Turk and Caicos, Jamaica, and Fiji (forgot the resort but I believe next to Savusavu). We are looking for a mix or relaxation and activities to do on land and in water. Some activities we are trying to include: snorkeling, deep sea fishing, golf, ATV, kayaking, hiking, day/sunset cruise, and historical sites.

This is our first international trip so any recommendations or travel tips would be great!

12 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
50,244 posts
25 reviews
96 helpful votes
1. Re: Too Many Places to Choose From

I see that you've also posted this same question on all the dedicated Destination Forums....

The Fiji Forum, the Jamaica Forum And The Turks and Caicos Forums, directly...

Those Forums are best equipped to give feedback on each specific location, but also usually favour their own locations as well...

Cant give you personal opinions of Fiji, havent been

I liked some things about Jamaica, pretty landscapes, fun party atmosphere, our hotel (sadly now gone) was great, food, excursions all great...

Did not like the ever present vendors presence and always being asked if l wanted to buy something... it was really constant from arrival at the Airport to departure... Even on the Hotel grounds employees would ask if we wanted to " come home" with them to experience a " real Jamaican" meal ...And vendors would even shout across the street at times...

So there's that aspect which they downplay or dont even talk about on the Jamaica Forum

Anyway, It got really tiresome after awhile

Turks & Caicos is not like that. Its more costly in general, and more upscale

Beautiful turquoise water, soft white sand beaches, excellent restaurants

Not hilly like Jamaica though, and statistics show safer/less crime than Jamaica

Edited: 01 May 2024, 19:35
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
50,244 posts
25 reviews
96 helpful votes
2. Re: Too Many Places to Choose From

I just happened to notice that your post count has dropped from 4 posts to 3 posts...

It looks like your post on the Fiji Forum has been reported as a " Duplicate" Post and removed by the Moderators

I cant say for sure thats what happened, but my ( educated) guess is this what it is

Unless you removed your own post there

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
50,244 posts
25 reviews
96 helpful votes
3. Re: Too Many Places to Choose From

Here is a link to another ( older) Tripadvisor thread about Negril, Jamaica VS Turks and Caicos

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g147395-i212-k8491784-Turks_Caicos_vs_Jamaica_Negril-Turks_and_Caicos.html

I think its an interesting read...

Lots more threads like this can be found by doing a simple "

SEARCH" on either Forum using the Search Icon /function ...

You can also watch YouTube Videos for more of an "on the ground" perspective ...

There are free, travel related videos on YouTube of virtually every location in the world, and many are of resort Hotels too, so you can look up Hotels youre interested in staying at ...

Edited: 01 May 2024, 21:55
Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
9,967 posts
9 reviews
43 helpful votes
4. Re: Too Many Places to Choose From

Since you removed your post on the Fiji Forum, I thought I would post here. Have been to Fiji but have not stayed near Savusavu. Is Namale Resort the one you are considering? If so, it seems to tick most of your wants except for ATV's. You might contact the resort and ask.

Tips:

If your stay is during the Australia/New Zealand school holidays, recommend an adult's only resort, which Namale is, or a resort with adult's only accommodations, pool to minimize the number of children around. Resorts popular with families will be overrun with kids.

Fiji Airlines is the only airline that has direct flights from LAX or SFO to Nadi. Flights arrive Nadi early morning and depart back late night, negating having to overnight in Nadi before flying to, or returning from Savusavu. If you book your flights on one ticket, SFO or LAX-NAN-SVU, you are allowed international luggage weights. Luggage weights on Fiji Link, Fiji's domestic airline, are strictly adhered to. If you are over the weight allowed, you are likely to be charged extra.

If you decide on Fiji, the below links have tips, and advice to assist you with your planning. Post #17 in the What to know before booking thread has suggestions of what to take with you as well as other helpful information.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294331-i883-k14394934-Fiji_What_to_know_before_booking-Fiji.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294331-i883-k14645599-First_time_visitors_to_Fiji_Tips_and_Information-Fiji.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294331-i883-k14645595-What_to_bring_to_Fiji-Fiji.html

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
50,244 posts
25 reviews
96 helpful votes
5. Re: Too Many Places to Choose From

I wonder if we'll ever hear back from the OP

Curious to know what Destination they pick...

Also theyve never said " when" theyre travelling....

Time of year/weather could affect the choice

Idaho
8 posts
6. Re: Too Many Places to Choose From

Thank you both for the information, I really appreciate it! We are traveling in November. We did decide on Fiji and now torn between two resorts: Namale and Matangi 😊

Edited: 03 May 2024, 16:43
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
50,244 posts
25 reviews
96 helpful votes
7. Re: Too Many Places to Choose From

Hi alexleigh

Thanks for letting us know...

I recommend posting directly to Tripadvisors dedicated Fiji Destination Forum itself, for the quickest and most knowledgable/comprehensive replies if you have any questions about Fiji travel, or even for feedback on Resort choices

Have a great trip!

Edited: 03 May 2024, 17:33
Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
9,967 posts
9 reviews
43 helpful votes
8. Re: Too Many Places to Choose From

Thanks for coming back to the forum alexleigh8.

Though we haven't been there recently, we have many fond memories of our four vacations at Matangi. It is our favorite resort in Fiji. What we enjoyed most was we could do as much or as little as we liked. The private luncheon at Horseshoe Bay is a "must do," and was a highlight for us. It was very special, and very romantic having drinks and a great meal on a beach just the two of us. Lots to activities to keep you occupied or not: lay by the pool with a good book, and drink in hand, snorkeling, diving, hiking around the island, visit a village/school, and the Bouma Waterfalls hike, Lavena Coast Walk, natural water slide tour and more on Taveuni.

Namale and Matangi are very different resorts. While Matangi is our little piece of paradise, I would go with the resort that has the accommodations you prefer, the tours/activities you are most interested in doing, and your "gut" feeling as to which resort suits you and your husband best.

I am sending you a private message with additional information to assist you with your planning.

Idaho
8 posts
9. Re: Too Many Places to Choose From

Thank you both!

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
9,967 posts
9 reviews
43 helpful votes
10. Re: Too Many Places to Choose From

Did you get my private message alexleigh8?

Reply to: Too Many Places to Choose From
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.