We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

25th Wedding Anniversary

East Point, Georgia
7 posts
1 review
25th Wedding Anniversary

My wife and I are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary next year. We are looking at traveling in June to Europe for about three weeks. This would be our first trip to Europe. The one place that we MUST VISIT (wife’s bucket list) is Paris. We would like to visit several cities and countries while we are there. I was thinking of Belgium, London, The Netherlands, and Paris but we are pretty much open to visiting any other part of Europe. My wife is very big on aesthetics and good food. We are both educators so we do not have an excess amount of money- lol. We will be flying out of Atlanta for this trip.

This is a tentative breakdown of our budget (about $5,000 to $7,000):

Flights - $1000 x 2 people = $2,000?

Hotel / Hostel / Bed and Breakfast / Airbnb - $1,000 per week (grand total of $3,000)?

Dining - $100 per day?

I don’t know if all this is feasible or not but I am open to suggestions on airlines, places to stay, dining options, traveling between different countries, sites to see, etc…

Thanks so much in advance.

7 replies to this topic
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
121,003 posts
418 reviews
365 helpful votes
1. Re: 25th Wedding Anniversary

Congratulations for Your anniversary. Your budget looks feasible to me. My wife and I don't have a ton of money so sometimes we have to make a few compromises in things like accommodation and transport, but we have found this is not necessarily a bad thing. As an example, walking around or catching a bus saves money compared to using taxi's and I think it provides a better experience of a city.

Speaking of which, a visit to Paris, London, Brussels or Bruges and Amsterdam would be a good fit for three weeks and you could look at the likes of Flixbus for travel between them as that will be cheaper than trains, albeit with a longer journey time.

If you have apartments you can do some cooking there to stretch your budget further. Also look at street food and local markets but do also have a nice lunch and dinner in restaurants as well.

Flying wise, look at flying in to one city and out of another. This will save time and money by not having to backtrack. In this case I'd start by looking into flying to London and back from Amsterdam.

Allen, Texas
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
12,842 posts
172 reviews
151 helpful votes
2. Re: 25th Wedding Anniversary

Thanks for and glad to see a budget breakdown! Well done. That said, let’s chat “money”….

The airfare budget looks a fair bit low imho. Maybe as much as $200-500 per person? You could fly into London and use low-cost carriers (LCCs) to move about or (cheaper but more time consuming) trains / Flixbus (as noted by Roj) to do so.

Are you absolutely dying to see Amsterdam? If not, it is one segment you could theoretically cut and reallocate funds otherwise.

The $100 per day for food (for two) is a benchmark we struggle to maintain abroad, even with cooking 1-2 meals a day. The food is just too good! 😂 Roj’s suggestion of a self-catering element could also save you some green on lodging.

Edited: 11 June 2024, 12:17
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
10,145 posts
514 reviews
144 helpful votes
3. Re: 25th Wedding Anniversary

I could easily cut Belgium, or at least Brussels. Bruges is a delight, the main reason to visit that country, IMO.

I love Amsterdam but then I studied art history, so the Rijksmuseum to me is an essential stop, and the Van Gogh Museum, too. It's also a very walkable city; flat and fairly compact for the main tourist sites: Anne Frank House, the Church in the Attic, Rembrandt's house....You mentioned "aesthetics" but I'm not sure what that covers: architecture, gardens, or what. If art is important, then a day trip to The Hague from Amsterdam is very doable by train; see the Mauritshuis museum for the Vermeers.

If you will be staying some days in a city like Amsterdam or London and plan to see a lot of attractions, you can save money by purchasing those city passes (they go by different names) but if you mainly plan to walk around and see only a few sites, then it's better to pay-as-you-go.

It's hard to know what prices will be a year from now for things like airfare. Exchange rates make a difference, too. The dollar is strong relative to the Euro at present. Over the years I've traveled to Europe, it's ranged from near parity where one Euro was only slightly higher than $1 to a low where one Euro equalled more than $1.40.

One thing you should do is make sure you have a credit card that doesn't charge you a conversion fee for purchases in foreign currency. And use ATMs to withdraw currency rather than currency exchanges (there's a fee for ATMs, of course but the exchange rate will be better).

4. Re: 25th Wedding Anniversary

Tripadvisor staff has removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum guidelines with regards to off-topic chat.

What are forum guidelines?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,707 posts
418 reviews
153 helpful votes
5. Re: 25th Wedding Anniversary

Save money. Fly into London. Stay a week. Take the train to Paris. Stay a week. Fly out. Easy to do. Happy travels!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
50,244 posts
25 reviews
96 helpful votes
6. Re: 25th Wedding Anniversary

Okay, Paris is a given....and you could easily spend a few days ( or more ) there...

Other than that, you seem to be somewhat open at this point...

With 3 weeks time you could see quite a bit, depending on your travel style and pace...

Ive been to All of the Places you list and very much enjoyed every single one ...

In order to narrow down a plan/itinerary. I recommend you do some research of these destinations

This should help you decide what other than Paris is an absolute must that you want to see...

Then this will make it easier for you to decide what places you're actually going to visit, how you're going to get there, and in what order

In addition to Travel Guides like books and online sources, l highly recommend Watching YOUTUBE!

There are countless great travel videos of every single city that you have mentioned, and seeing these places "almost "in person will help you determine which type of atmosphere you want to immerse yourself in. and which places you truly want to see

Edited: 13 June 2024, 16:42
East Point, Georgia
7 posts
1 review
7. Re: 25th Wedding Anniversary

Good morning. I must apologize for my delayed response. All I can say is WOW. I really appreciate everyone's responses and recommendations. I have been going through each response and adding the information to my planning. Thanks again!!!

Reply to: 25th Wedding Anniversary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.