We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer - Need your sage advice

Twin Cities
1 post
Save Topic
First Timer - Need your sage advice

Hello,

First time posting and first time really traveling anywhere, and I would like any and all feedback from you.

I will try to keep things as pointed and detailed as I can without muddying up the waters.

Situation:

My girlfriend of 3 years and I are both in our mid 20's with no children (she would disagree - 2 cats and a dog).

She has been away working for a year, and it has been a horrible experience. She gets back to Minnesota in early July.

Neither one of us has been outside of the continental United States, and we would like to go somewhere "English friendly" that would not be overwhelming for inexperienced travelers.

We will both have our passports at the time of travel.

I would like to keep the total around or under $3,000 for our flights and stay (a week)?

Any time of the year - preferably not in the apex of Summer (Scandinavians don't handle heat too well).

What we'd like:

-All inclusive, or an equivalent experience achievable with the aforementioned price

-She has mentioned horseback riding on a beach (not a deal breaker)

-To avoid "spring breakers"

-Relaxation - a must

-Comfortable room accommodations in case of poor weather (jacuzzi/hot-tub)?

If there is something you learned your first time traveling and would like to share, feel free.

Thanks

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timer - Need your sage advice

Check these 2 - within your budget (just about...)

cheapcaribbean.com

www.funjet.com/hotdeals/detail.asp?OAC=MSP

If you really want English-speaking countries then only US Virgin Islands & Belize... but budgetwise - not too many deals...

Alternatively, you can fly to Charleston SC or go to Sanibel, Fl. in early fall - not AI - but if cheap flights + cheap car hire, it can be done. Usually good deals on accommodation....

Best IMO: You should also consider Canada; not just Niagara Falls & Toronto; try a weekend in Kenora; if you like to drive (about 350 miles)..just to get a feel of another country. Prices: in Canadian dollars; Great lake, accommodation - horseback riding possible near by...

Lovely B & B's; my husband claims we stayed in Spruce Lake Inn - I only remember that the lady who gave us great breakfast was Linda & the place had real suites...

http://www.bbcanada.com/8095.html

xe.com

gives you exchange calculator under Tools/Universal C.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timer - Need your sage advice

I think you should consider Ireland and/or the U.K. This would be a great way to check out Europe, but without the language issue. You could do a loop that includes London, and maybe fly in to Dublin, go to London, then fly home from London. Or the other way around. Remember you will probably have some jet lag so keep the first full day simple. Ireland is so beautiful and the people are so friendly. I am sure there must be horseback riding! I think there are several ways to get between Dublin and London. The airline that people use to hop around Europe is called Ryan Air, so you might check this out. Or just spend the whole time in Ireland. London can be expensive, and I believe Ireland is just cheaper overall. Along similar lines, you could check out Scotland -- so romantic! The landscape is incredible, and Edinburgh is great fun, easy to walk around. The other thing to remember is that these countries are very far north, and are less likely to be steaming hot, although they have had some heat waves now and then. Happy planning.

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timer - Need your sage advice

The majority of the European Mediterranean is frequented by the British (and Scandinavians!) Resorts will speak English widely.

The best value may be found in Spain, and as you have requested it to be not too hot, then I recommend the Costa Brava between Barcelona and France. American, Continental and Delta fly into Barcelona from either JFK or Newark, and Air Canada from Toronto.

The one resort to avoid is Lloret de Mar (full of Spring-Break types from Britain), but other resorts along the coast (especially Tossa de Mar, L'Estartit and Roses) are lovely. Lots of History and Culture too - the artists Salvador Dali and Pablo Picasso are associated with the area.

bonaire
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timer - Need your sage advice

If you like Bonaire in the Dutch Caribbean, Englisch Friendly....

Let me know, so I like to help you further.

Sunny Regards,

Lisette de Groot

Flamingo Services Bonaire

5. Re: First Timer - Need your sage advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2010, 05:16