We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
217 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Over the water bungalows

Looking for an over the water bungalow for 15 yr anniv. Only have 7 days so don't want to spend a day on each end traveling (i.e. Fiji, etc). Any suggestions of this type of accomodation, but a bit closer to the US?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
14,776 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Over the water bungalows

Well... the Cook Islands is a little closer to the USA, and Aitutaki does have over-water bungalows located in a superb private island location with extensive lagoon views reputed to be second to none in the world! This south seas paradise is brimming with romance, scenery and charming people.

However, it will require an overnight flight into Rarotonga (departs LAX late Sunday and time to arrive at 7am. Time enough to catch the 8am domestic Air Raro flight to Aitutaki where you will be met at the Aitutaki airport and transfered to the exlusive Aitutaki lagoon & Spa island resort. Allowing for 5 nights relaxing, dipping into the lagoon, sipping cool drinks, lagoon cruising, dining, strolling, enjoying an island night feast and show it'll be time to catch the last flight on Saturday for a midnight departure from Raro. Once again Air New Zealand have timed their direct USA schedule to fit around visitors needs.

The benefit of choosing the Cook Islands over Fr Polynesia and Fiji is affordability! Air NZ is offering some good fares from USA return at present. Besides, our currency is Kiwi dollars, so you should gain from your dollar being higher than ours at present. I imagine that there are special deals through the airline to include a 5 night stay at the resort.

Check these details - www.airnewzealand.com;

aitutakilagoonresort.com/accomodation_overwa…

Happy planning.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
217 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Over the water bungalows

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! This looks amazing! However, it's still a bit further than we have time to travel. I hate to spend a day on each end of the trip for just air travel. :(

However, I've added this to my "some day" list when we can take long adventures! Thanks for the idea!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
14,776 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Over the water bungalows

Air NZ has carefully scheduled its direct service to make it a night-time flight so as to provide a greater level of comfort to passengers. In other words, it's not a day wasted, but rather think of the flight as a cat-nap onto paradise. And Aitutaki certainly is! You'll be buzzing with anticipation by the time your aircraft lands. Same with departure; all well contructed to minimise wasted daylight hours.

While you havn't mentioned in your posts the month of trvel, I can assure you that our international airline provides a high level of customer focus and comfort. Our new livery of couches and flat beds is being rolled out to make long haul flights a real treat. Like the old days when we operated a luxury airline service and only film stars and royalty could afford to visit Aitutaki. You may be interested to know that it was your fellow countrymen who designed and constructed Aitutakli's runway. When WW II ended, they were the most reluctant of all troops to depart the shores of paradise. Some never left!

One day maybe? Yes, dreams do become reality and our local folk know how to weave that magic spell. Cheers - Kia Manuia (good luck in our local lingo).

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,524 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Over the water bungalows

We recently returned from the Tahiti area and spent 5 night in an OWB at the Hilton in Moorea. The snorkeling was spectacular and I could not recommend it highly enough.

If you fly into Tahiti you can then take a 10 minute flight to Moorea or you can take ground transport about 30 minutes to the ferry for the 30 minute ferry ride ($30 round trip) to Moorea. Their OWB have a glass panel in the floor with an outside light to see the fish even at night. The entire lagoon is aonly about 4-5 feet deep, crystal clear water, magnificent.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
993 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Over the water bungalows

Well, it's going to take you 9 hours to get there, but I'll second the vote for Tahiti/French Polynesia. It's also going to cost a bit more than you wanted, but it's worth it.

There are good packages and links available on Air Tahiti Nui's US web site - you should be able to do it for under $5 K, but most meals will be extra. Trust me - it is a once in a lifetime experience (though you'll find yourself wanting to make it back there again and again after you've been once).

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Over the water bungalows

Hi - Here are a few OWB options closer to home for you:

9 Beaches in Bermuda

Coco View Resort on Roatan

Punta Caracol Acqua Lodge on the Caribbean side of Panama.

I believe that OWBs are currently being built in St. Lucia as well.

I can not provide personal recs on these resorts as I have not stayed there. However, I've stayed in OWBs in Moorea and Maldives, and it is a real treat! Enjoy!

Edited: 09 March 2011, 18:46
7. Re: Over the water bungalows

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 16:18
Get answers to your questions