We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon assistance US Trip with island retreat at the end?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon assistance US Trip with island retreat at the end?

We are going on a Honeymoon to the US next year in May and have been having a hard time deciding on a location that we would both like.

We have now nutted it down to the US and will be flying into NY and flying out of LA for 3 weeks (20 days) – these flights have already been booked. Definites are NY for 4-5 nights, LA for 2-3 nights and Vegas for 3 - 4 nights and possibly when in NY flying up and staying at Niagara Falls for 2 – 3 nights (unsure of this still).

At the end of the trip I had a surprise in mind and was originally thinking of flying out of LAX to Hawaii for 5 nights but after seeing the costs of the 4 seasons in Maui (where I want to go) it is surprising that for the dates we are going it will be cheaper to stay in the 4 seasons at Bora Bora. It is an extra 3 hour flight mind you and then another hour to the island.

I guess my question is with flying all the way to the US, to then spend more flying time going to Hawaii or Bora Bora, would we be better spent touring around more of the US – Washington, San Francisco etc… or after sight seeing in NY, LA and Vegas would it be better to have a few nights to just relax.

Suggestions are welcome :)

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
3,177 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon assistance US Trip with island retreat at the end?

From SF rent a convertable and drive along the PCH to LA. Stop along the way: Universal studios, Hearst Castle, and Wineries. Happy travels!

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon assistance US Trip with island retreat at the end?

If you want to visit an island during the trip, keep in mind that New York has many flight options to the Caribbean. You can get to many of the Caribbean islands on a nonstop flight of about 3.5-4.5 hours in duration. So, you could visit the Caribbean in lieu of Bora Bora of Maui (although I love French Polynesia). If you would like more information on this option, please let me know. I frequently take Caribbean flights from New York and can help with options. The only caveat is that it wouldn't make sense to do this at the end of your trip. It would make the most sense to combine this with your New York visit.

You can also get to Bermuda in two hours from New York.

Good luck!

Edited: 25 August 2011, 17:33
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon assistance US Trip with island retreat at the end?

Worldtravelier - Thanks for that, had not even considered doing the drive from SF to LA - i think it will be a very nice drive so thanks for the advice.

luv4travelNJ - Thanks for that, i have actually thought about the Caribbean, about the only place that i know of is St lucia, not really clued up on the Caribbean as much so not sure what the good places to go/stay there are. Was actually watching an episode of My wife and kids last night and they were staying at that Atlantis island - looks very nice on the TV, unsure what it is like in reality tho. The general sensus from reading forums that i can tell is that French Polynesia and Hawaii are that bit more special than the Caribbean or Cancun. I havent been to any so am just going on what i have read.

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon assistance US Trip with island retreat at the end?

I agree that FP is a special place. Take advantage of a trip there if you can.

I wanted to throw the Caribbean out there so you were aware of all options. The Caribbean has much more to offer than Cancun. There are some gorgeous islands to be found there.

Good luck!

5. Re: Honeymoon assistance US Trip with island retreat at the end?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2011, 14:59
6. Re: Honeymoon assistance US Trip with island retreat at the end?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2012, 23:17