We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

late 20's couple have a few ideas but need a little guidance

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
858 posts
273 reviews
Save Topic
late 20's couple have a few ideas but need a little guidance

We are both teachers so we could travel most of the summer, but ideally we would like to go in very early June( for a couple weeks).

I would rather not spend more than $5000 for the two of us, but could still survive if that number went up a couple thousand. I like culture(interesting neighborhoods and food). She likes relaxation. Ideally I guess we would want to combine the two. Maybe one week go to a destination with lots of culture, and the next week maybe a beach. We have always wanted to stay in hut over water. I think most of them are in the south pacific area. Am I correct in assuming that Thailand, Fuji, and Southeast Asia would be unbearably hot during that time? Another thing is we don't want to be surrounded by tourists all the time (Cancun for example). Also we don't mind substituting lesser know places if the price is right. For example whenever I go the Netherlands I prefer to stay in Rotterdam because it is half of the price and half of the tourists. I hope this made sense, and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,929 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: late 20's couple have a few ideas but need a little guidance

SE Asia is unbearably hot most times of the year. But in June in Thailand you can typically expect temperatures in the low 30s, but a fair amound of rain. Not necessarily constant rain, but rain nevertheless.

Bali and Lombok are great in terms of weather, again you're looking at low 30s temperatures but typically little rain. Both will satisfy your cultural and relaxation criteria. Lombok would be the cheaper option in terms of accomodation and cost of living.

Langkawi and Penang would also be an option, although expect *some* rain in both these places (normally the humidity will just build up during the day then you'll get rain on an evening and during the night). Neither options as cheap as Indonesia for the same standard of accomodation, although food/drink is reasonably priced.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
858 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: late 20's couple have a few ideas but need a little guidance

thanks.....Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: late 20's couple have a few ideas but need a little guidance

hut over the water - your best bet would be Maldives, Mauritius and the Seychelles they all provide the water bungalows and they are all beach destinations but you sure will have to increase your budget if you want that "hut over the water "

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
858 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: late 20's couple have a few ideas but need a little guidance

are you saying a "hut over the water" is a waste of money? If not, how much will I have to increase my budget. Are the three areas you listed pleasant during early June? Thanks.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: late 20's couple have a few ideas but need a little guidance

they will sure be hot as they are all through the year but you can expect little rainfall that might make it a tad cooler

i never meant the hut over the water is a waste of money its a personal choice, but yes you will have to make your budget close to $8000-9000 if you want a water bungalow in a decent 3-4 star property and $10000 if you want that same in a 5 star

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,532 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: late 20's couple have a few ideas but need a little guidance

We were on the Island of Moorea near Tahiti in June and the weather was great. South of the equator is their cooler season but it was still quite warm. Out of their cyclone season which was great. Price is out of your listed budget as it will cost about $1800 per person for air alone and another $700 minimum per night for an over water bungalow.

Only one resort in Fiji has overwater units and they are $1000+ per night.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: late 20's couple have a few ideas but need a little guidance

South Africa has lots of culture & beaches.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
858 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: late 20's couple have a few ideas but need a little guidance

Is it worth spending the extra $ for a bungalow over the water? Or is it the type of thing that is really coold for a couple hours, and then the novelty wears off? Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
993 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: late 20's couple have a few ideas but need a little guidance

It is worth it, at least once in your life.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,929 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: late 20's couple have a few ideas but need a little guidance

Totally agree - either a bungalow on water or a bungalow directly on the beach is a good experience.

Get answers to your questions