We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Muslim-Friendly Honeymoon :-)

Cardiff, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Muslim-Friendly Honeymoon :-)

My fiance and I are getting married in Sept 2012 and would like to take honeymoon early september. The difficulty is that he is a (turkish)muslim and I am British - we live in UK and have been together 1 year and only ever holidayed in Turkey. We love Turkey but as I don't speak the language I very often feel left out in conversations so would prefer not to take honeymoon there. We need a romantic location where food is suitable for him (vegetarian/halal) with access to some entertainment where alcohol is optional (for me). Our budget is £1500 all in and we can go for 7-14 nights. Would like to go further than Europe ideally but open to suggestions.

znojmo
Level Contributor
467 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Muslim-Friendly Honeymoon :-)

I holidayed with a male Turkish friend of mine on the Greek island of Crete and we both had a great time.

you could also try Turkish Cyprus.

your low budget rules out destinations like malaysia but September is such a great month for Europe i wouldn't go further.

Another option is red sea Egypt you may get 2 weeks all inc if you are lucky. Check reviews on your hotel choice and don't go lower than 4 star.

Though my choice would be a Greek island like Crete or Kefalonia though i feel your budget is a little low for 2 weeks for everything.

Edited: 27 August 2012, 17:45
Cardiff, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Muslim-Friendly Honeymoon :-)

Thanks for your response - I Will check out this locations now. my search has returned Jamaica and Thailand so far....any thoughts on these based on my requirements ?

znojmo
Level Contributor
467 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Muslim-Friendly Honeymoon :-)

your budget is very low, you'd need to find a fair bit more.

As i said september is a great month to honeymoon closer to home. you should get no rain .

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
22,071 posts
2,003 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Muslim-Friendly Honeymoon :-)

Sharm el Sheikh is doable on your budget with a a very good branded hotel.

You can look to Spain with an area such as Granada where halal food is easily available.

If you can up your budget to around £2000 then Malaysia/Thailand may be available to you. Malaysia will definitely have halal food available for you and its widely available in parts of Thailand but do go to the forums for further details.

Try some online travel agents for prices and guidance but try not to mention honeymoon, they only up the prices!

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Muslim-Friendly Honeymoon :-)

I agree with Preson; Malaysia would be a great option, somewhere like Penang or Langkawi are good honeymoon destinations, and since it's a Muslim country you won't have food issues. It's also a tourist friendly place, so again drink and entertainment/activities aren't difficult to find. But, your budget will only just buy you two flights unfortunately, so you'd need to increase by another thousand for a nice hotel and expenses.

Nearer home, somewhere like Tunisia would be a cheaper option.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9,365 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Muslim-Friendly Honeymoon :-)

There's three places I can think of in the Far East - though the budget becomes an issue because for a 1500GBP total budget loses about 1200GBP just on the flights.

Singapore - a quick look at my profile will show my bias there - its an excellent blend - Halal food is readily available with the Mala population forming about 15% of the population and its got a British colonial past.

Malaysia - as a muslim nation it suits the halal requirements and has an active turist industry. You can choose between Penang in he western coninental section, or base yourself out from Kuching in the eastern island region for the jungle type trip.

Indonesia - Bintan island has some excellent get away hotels - again a muslim country makes that side of things easy, but as a major tourist island for SIngaporeans has a thriving and well organised holiday trade.

You could look at Jordan - Petra is stunning, and thats not everything he country has to offer by a long shot. Egypt, Tunisia and Morocco leap to mind as well but I have no current idea of budgets for them

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Muslim-Friendly Honeymoon :-)

Is your budget £1500 per person or both?

You may struggle to get further a field on that. But if you manage to stretch a little, you could look at Malaysia and Indonesia. Thailand would be a possibility, but unlike Malaysia and Indonesia isn't a Muslim country ....

However .......... I've looked on a website called Travelbag.co.uk (ABTA, ATOL, IATA protected), I've not used them myself for booking, but have been looking at their deals for future bookings, I did notice that you could do a week in Thailand for from £749 per person (but only for a week, it might be too far to go for a week?). Worth a look for ideas .... I'd always consider booking on a credit card too (don't forget to pay the balance), sometimes it gives you that extra cover with purchases.

Obviously you would need to consider your spending money too.

Also for SE Asia, check the weather, as rainy seasons can vary place to place and when it rains, it can rain. September looks very rainy for Phuket.

http://www.travelbag.co.uk/amazingthailand

When you find a location, hop on to the destination forums and have a look on the forums and travel guides for more information before you book. So you are sure.

Alternatively, if you are able to postpone a little, you could save a little more to go for longer?

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Muslim-Friendly Honeymoon :-)

Or may be Dubai? (al be it, it can be expensive, but may be worth a look for a week as it is not as far)

znojmo
Level Contributor
467 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Muslim-Friendly Honeymoon :-)

to be honest i don't understand the muslim friendly bit especially as the OP specified that her husband can eat vegetarian. Most places in Europe you can find good Vegetarian food so given your budget and the fact that september is a great month for Europe and the med, then it's a no brainer as far as i'm concerned.

Delhi
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Muslim-Friendly Honeymoon :-)

I think you should consultant from embassy because they will give you right information on this matter.

Get answers to your questions